Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22.1K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

I appreciate the concerns you brought up regarding the presentation you heard. I have been a customer for almost a year and a business builder for 7 months.

I have personally helped 6 people cancel their account without issue in less then 5 minutes. With the advancement in technology it is really easy now. I believe you saw a bad presentation and that could be for a number of reasons. The back up order is an integral part of the presentation and should have been explained.

I am sorry you didn't feel that way.

Also you are more then welcome to purchase products as a direct customer without any of the benefits of being a preferred customer. Again anybody that is a customer can build this business and they may not be properly trained so your experience was not one that most have.

This is a horrible, horrible, scam company! Impossible to cancel with!!!

I wished I had red all the BBB complains, hundreds of them!!!! Stay away!!!

@az

Better yet, You Stay Away! How about that?

@az

Melaleuca has a triple AAA+ rating with the BBB. Sorry you had a problem but it might have been you and not understanding. There is not another company out there that is as good as Melaleuca!

Everything about them is positive!

@me

Actually, there is a better company as far as cleaning products go, and they are non toxic, and biodegradable too. Even their bottles are from 100% recycled plastics.

No minimums, just buy what you need, as you need it. The name of the company is 7th Generation and you can find their products just about in every grocery store, at least the major ones. They are made in VT.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for true wellness products from a company that's been around for almost 28 years, started by a guy who's been doing fitness and nutrition, just email me for more information. My email is Behealthyagain@aol.com as their products are 2nd to none.

@az

After reading these comments, I JUST HAD TO ADD MINE when I saw a comment that said, "I wished I had red all the BBB complains, hundreds of them!!!! Stay away!!!

Did you ever stop and think how a company can have the best rating possible by BBB, namely A+? Do you honest think 300 complaints is a lot over the past 3 years with over 36,000,000 transactions by the company? 300 complaints is incredibly amazing few and thus why they have a A+ rating.

As for the backup order, 35 points matter, everyone simply doesn't understand how this works and then complains. Really not fair.

Simply stated, a person does NOT have to purchase products each and every month.

The "backup order" is a perk for those who regular purchase products. I helps keep their account benefits in tact in case a person forgets to place an order. I've got over $300 of free Loyalty Dollars in my account and also I have never needed the backup order, I am so thankful that a company even provides such a free protection.

Suspending the account is also extremely simple and quick. I help people all the time.

Sometimes people need to hold the membership for a couple of months and then reactivate it for free.

Great company and great products.

This company contributes large sums to the Republican party. We do not to support any company from either party that does this kind of garbage.

I heard they were Mormon owned.

@Jeff

Jeff! What the heck are you talking about.

This has NOTHING to do with politics... and geee...

what does it matter if the owners are Mormon???!!! how bigot, hater and ignorant can you be???

@Jeff

Jeff, if you really did your homework you'll find that Frank Vandersloot gave a million to President Bill Clinton. He thought Clinton was a great man for recognizing all successful businesses.

The fact that he gave his second million to Romney was because he didn't like Obama. Vandersloot isn't a stupid man....when Obama found out that Frank did that he criticized the company...so Frank gave another million to Romney...which sent Obama over the edge and he really went into a frenzy criticizing the company and the man himself. I figure you can donate money to whom you want, and shouldn't be open to public chastising for it...but not according to Obama. Frank V.

will support the president who he thinks is WORTHY...notice he didn't give any money to Trump?? Notice that??

Well your presenter was obviously new or incompetent. You are not spending more money just redirecting your spening here instead of GNC, Target, Walmart, Dollar Store or Family Dollar. The internet makes it easy for people like you to leave ingorant reviews.

@urapns

You're ignorant!

OK, so explain to me how exactly I can purchase, say ONE item without membership and without being bothered to sign up for membership. Where do I go on the website?

How do I order? I keep seeing Melaleuca reps/fans repeating over and over how the products can be bought without membership but NEVER HOW TO DO THIS. Your comment is pretty much the same as the presentation we experienced. All "Melaleuca is so great" preaching, but no clear explanation on the requirements.

I have seen way too many comments that were similar to ours, and our presentation was done by an experienced "upline" person. I'm not saying the company is bad, but it is still a MLM despite insistence that is isn't, and anyone considering joining needs to be very clear on the requirement and the potential financial and other costs involved.

@Anonymous

Well if you have any computer experience go to www.melaleuca.com and sign in as a guest and follow the instructions. Remember you don't get the member price, hummmmm sounds kinda like sams club, have to be a member to get in there too. 1 bottle of their laundry soap is cheaper than 3tide of the same size.

@Anonymous

There is a phone number on the website. Call that number and tell them you would like to order blah, blah, blah.

You will pay the full price, instead of getting a 30% to 40% discount as a preferred customer. You must have a terrible Rep. I have turned my $29.00 into over $48,000.00, in 3 1/2 years working 10 to 15 hours a week. It is not a MLM.

You can not buy a position with Melaleuca by buying a large amount of products to go out and try to resell. The reason only 10% of the population has heard of Melaleuca is that NO ONE Gets hurt, NO One loses one red cent. It is a Comsumer Direct Marketing Co. Customers simply order what they need and what they want each month.

The best nutritional supplements. It has been around for 29 years and has an awesome track record.

Im sorry you had that experience but I have been a customer of Melaleuca for 19 years and most people know the name of the company before they come to a presentation. It sounds like your friend might have been a new customer or had poor advice from someone on how to present to you.

It is simple as anything to cancel and it happens in the same day from my experience. Also there is a way you can be a customer and not buy every month and not have any commitment of 35 points. However you don't get the discounted prices - which is one of the advantages of shopping monthly. Some folks are happy to choose this option as they love the products but would only like to buy occasionally.

In my 19 years experience I have never found a company that is more customer oriented and that provided better customer service. They have a 4 star BBB rating for how they treat their customers and their suppliers. They are a debt free company that produces all their products in the US and employ Americans. They are one of the number one e-commerce sites in North America so you can definitely trust them with your credit card info.

Unfortunately the person who presented Melaleuca to you did a bad job but don't judge the book by the cover. The company has more integrity than any company I have dealt with online before including all the major retailers.

@Melafan

I agree that the customer service is exceptional. i as well love the products.

Being a member to be a preferred customer is a smart way to shop to get the lower prices.

Costco does this as well. It is unfortunate you had a bad experience and hope you give it another try.

@rainey

So again, Melafan and rainey, explain to me how I can just buy a couple of products without signing up for membership? I am not interested in membership, but no Melaleuca fans will answer my question without pushing the benefits of membership.

Can you answer my question or not? How EXACTLY do I buy a product or 2 without signing up?????

@Anonymous

There is no way to my knowledge that you can purchase a product without being a member. I just signed up for it a the person who did my presentation did a good job by making me aware of all th extras which I believe is really important. I am giving it a try because honestly I am tired of using chemical filled products around my children

@Anonymous

To purchase products with out signing up for the 35pt membership (a.k.a. "Preferred Customer Membership"), you ask the person that introduced you to set up an account for you as a "Direct Customer".

The process is the same...you set up an account...but you check the "Direct Customer" box instead of the "Preferred Customer" box. Then you will have an online account where you can order what you like, when you like, without the monthly commitment to 35 pts. It is true that you pay retail prices instead of the preferred pricing.

No one earns commission on a Direct Customer. I am happy to help you set up your Direct Customer account if the person that introduced you won't.

@Anonymous

Its called being a direct customer and not a preferred member. You can shop when you want to but you will not get the 30 to 40 percent discount. It's that easy.

Melaleuca Reviews