Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22.1K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

@Anonymous

Yeah last month I not be able to spend 60 on anything. Had bill out of nowhere.

@Anonymous

The reason why Melaleuca's prices are so reasonable is because they partner with their customers who agree to shop monthly. This enables Melaleuca to forecast what ingredients to purchase for manufacturing. The customer is ultimately the winner here.

info@globalwellnessandhealthgroup.com

Absolutely. I actually very much like Melaleuca products.

If they dropped the monthly requirements I would open an account. In my opinion a company has to **earn** the right for me to purchase from them when I am ready to place an order. With Melaleuca's minimum monthly order requirement of "35 points" they are essentially they are statting loud and clear that they do not need to **earn** a customer's loyalty but rather demand it, in writing no less, signed on the dotted line.

Melalaleuca may I suggest giving this philosophy a try? For a month, drop your minimum monthly order and open up perfered pricing to "guest" customers.

See how you do. Make clear that in order to continue ordering the customers will have to sign up with the company (Without The Minimum Monthly Order!!). These customers then receive a special "Waiver" for the minimum monthly requirements. Melaleuca, use these as a test case to see if they stay with Melaleuca longer.

Calculate if in the long run (even if they don't order every month) whether they order more.

Thank you.

@Anonymous

Or an option to pay a yearly membership fee. I would pay $60.00 or so for a yearly membership. This would be a better option than required "point" orders.

@Anonymous

What a great idea! I love it! They could even do monthly passes in lieu of the required purchase amounts.

@Anonymous

How can we make this happen?

@Anonymous

Or perhaps a yearly fee that is only due if X amount is not ordered within a course of a year. For example, say the X amount is $400.00.

If $400.00 is not ordered before December 31, 20XX then a yearly membership fee is charged. The membership fee could be different amounts dependant upon how much a member spent.

@Anonymous

This reminds me of a wholesale store where I live I shop at occasionally. If you are not a member you can buy a "one time pass" for six bucks. They could even do one time passes.

@Anonymous

If this happpens I will sign up that day!

@Anonymous

I think they really need to read this page. Time for changes.

@Anonymous

I actually wrote down for the last 5 months the cost of things in my household per month-Its just me and my dog. I would spend MORE with Melaleuca's monthly requirement.

Ivah
@Anonymous

Once again, there is no requirement to the monthly orders. Preferred customers get preferred prices, and benefits.

Std. customers, shop when they want, pay full retail and get no benefits.

There you have it.

@Anonymous

Or even a minimum order. It wouldn't be an excellent idea but I would accept it over a required order.

@Anonymous

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I would just make a list and wait until it go big enough to order.

@Anonymous

I live in the town where Mel was started and founded. This company gives great bonuses to all its employees both sales people and labor areas, 4th of July firework show, paying cash for a 350,000 square foot building (etc).

Great tax right off's. Mel will never change there policy! If they change then so does Frank's pocket book, they have a great product but I feel they do not want to waste there time on small spenders like myself. Too bad because even small orders are better than no orders!!

One word.... Greed

Ivah
@Anonymous

You can shop directly anytime you want without the monthly requirement. You'll pay retail.

People that become preferred customers that shop monthly receive benefits that you obviously don't know about or don't care about. It isn't tough to order 35 points a month. A family of three or four will do it easily. A family of two, does it easily also.

What your issue is, you don't like being told to order every month, however you will go shopping at any other store and automatically put products in your cart that you could by from Mela, except you won't think of it until you're in the store. Shopping at Melaleuca takes thought and a little time, that most people who complain don't want to put in. If you want to buy quality at reduced cost you shop with us.

If you want to buy cheap products at cheap prices, shop elsewhere. Simple really!

I don't have a problem with MLM opportunities -- which are NOT automatically pyramid schemes by the way!

I do have a problem with having to buy so many products each month and having to do meetings and phone calls etc. I don't want to get into another program like the ones I've been through before. Other people were successful in other MLM ventures, but I am just not passionate about household cleaning products, and usually it won't work if you are not on FIRE for the services or products and company you are representing!

#921989

You have the smartest review.its a pyramid scam.were they get money and u dont

You are absolutely correct, this is taking monies from people and lining the higher up people's pockets. I am not sold on their products, you get what you pay for.

Who ever was doing the Overview of Melaleuca was at fault for not doing a complete overview. We are all taught to especially talk about the backup order, and everything else they mentioned.

Of course if they knew more about Melaleuca they would see it is NOT a MLM, every thing they said was not true, and they did not understand or it was not explained well enough.

Melaleuca is the best thing out there for anyone.

Melaleuca Reviews