33.2K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

Always interesting when I see folks make a company out to be bad because they are membership based. Companies are able to do more when they know they have folks that will be there monthly. What about when Cell Phone companies made you sign a 2 year contract?

#1691910
@PissedConsumer1660769

When the presentor is told not to mention the company name, and important financial/contractual details get glossed over for the sake of "life changing products", the company makes THEMSELVES out to look bad. These reviewers are simply stating their experiences.

There is a difference between FACTS and slander. My OPINION is that the presentation is sneaky, misleading, pushy and desperate. Other monthly billing companies (such as cell phone companies per your example) or membership based stores like sam's or costco don't use this method of doing business.

Besides, why do you care if people don't sign up? Is because you need more money in the pot for you pyramid scheme?

#1915751
@PissedConsumer1691910

Melaleuca does not pressure anyone to recruit other customers so it is not a pyramid scheme. No one has made any nasty accusations against you for not liking it.

They are not trying to scam anyone or to sell to go others on this site.

They are just giving honest reviews of the products and the company. Only a very bitter and vindictive person would be bothered by the fact that many people are happy with this company or any company or product.

I had these same reservations after the presentation as well. I have a feeling that any company/business that emphasizes signing people up, no matter what the product is, is BS.

This kept playing in my mind as we were encouraged to sign up and tell others.

I do want to try the products so I won't cancel yet. Thank you for your opinion.

@PissedConsumer1531363

Mrs. E.

There is no rule that you have to do anything except use the product. People who sign with melaleuca do it, to either use the product and become a preferred customer (ordering a minimum of 35 product points per month. For that you get many different benefits, including $100.00 back in the first 5 months in free products OR pay for your order. Then after that 15% bonus shopping dollars going into your side account which you can use to pay for your order.

there is also a credit card, and when you use that on the outside, 15% of whatever you spent goes into your bonus shopping pool so that you can use it to buy monthly product. Then if you continue and if your enroller is building a business you get 7% of his/her business every month. There is NO emphasis that you HAVE TO enroll others.

NONE. Hope this helps.

@PissedConsumer1624984

This is very helpful, thank you!

I absolutely don't understand you comment. It just doesn't make any sense.

It sounds like you are saying that your enroller won't allow you to cancel your membership??? That makes no sense whatsoever. It's not up to the enroller. It's up to the YOU, the customer.

If you want to quit, just quit.

You don't need approval from anyone but yourself. I can understand that it can negatively affect the enroller depending on their status, but that's life.

You talk about enroller problems. My enroller had me sign up at 18 and I couldn't cancel my account becuase it was non negotiable with her.

Well, at 30 I got married and my husband and I had so much melaleuca from over the years that we ended up throwing away hundreds of dollars of products. It was a waste but what do you do with so much product that is taking up space? We canceled our account. My enroller recently found out that our account is canceled and she won't allow that to happen.

I think I'll eventually be forced to sign back up. She said she will pay for us to sign up and pay for our products monthly so she can keep her status but bottom line is we don't want the products. The CEO is great.

I respect Frank and the business he runs but the enrollers are crazy and obsessed. I got out for many reasons but one major reason is the way people who do the business do not give the customer an option of getting out.

@PissedConsumer1529034

Not true. The enroller has no authority over whether you stay or quit.

NONE. They also cannot pay for you to stay so they can keep their so called status...that's an AMWAY issue...as people in Melaleuca are NOT IN AN MLM company. You DO KNOW the difference don't you? Melaleuca is customer direct marketing, while Amway and all the rest out there aren't....and you have to go through your SPONSOR each time which is why they know what you're doing and have something to say about it.

Customer direct marketing is simply shopping at the company, like opening up a shopping account at any major store and shopping on line.

There's no middle man. Sorry for what you're going through BUT you're describing an MLM company but not ours.

@PissedConsumer1529269

good to know, you explained this very well.

@PissedConsumer1529034

Hmmm, you can call the company and rectify this. Folks that have a lot of products are folks that don't take the time to order.

Over 500 products in different areas; from household cleaning, nutrition, makeup, Hygiene, and more. Come on....

#1915755
@PissedConsumer1529034

Every company has good and bad people in it. You got a bad one.

Please don't lump them all together. I have had experience with both high pressure and low pressure salespeople from different companies.

#1915757
@PissedConsumer1529034

You could have donated the unused products to your local food/hygiene bank.

I feel compelled to comment on each point you raise. 1) A reason the company name is not mentioned is due to people like you COMPLETELY misrepresenting the details about the subject.

If I personally did research about the company and read your review, I would NOT go anywhere near the company. How said considering your influence would cause a person to miss out on the "life-changing" products. 2) The business is completely optional. In fact, 88% of all shoppers are not interested in the business whatsoever.

So people can obviously just shop for the high quality products that are even less costly than what you are currently buying from local stores anyways. Do you need a membership to shop? Yes. Do you need a membership to shop at Costco?

Yes. I also have a Costco membership because I see value in having one due to the fact that there are some products Costco offers that are not yet available at the Melaleuca store. With Costco's membership, I save more money than the cost and thus why I choose to have a Costco membership. Same goes for Melaleuca.

3) There is absolutely no "requirement" to shop for 35 points of product per month. In fact, you can go 6 months without buying a single thing before the membership completely shuts down. The 35 point figure is simply the threshold of when the 30% - 50% discounts kick in. If a person does not need to shop in a given month, Melaleuca simply has to be informed.

When they are informed, the account stays in that inactive state until the account is reactivated, which is 100% free. 4) The "backup order" is a protection of all the perks customers receive. For example, every time a person shops, they are handed over free money to spend on products. Imagine having hundreds of dollars accumulated.

Those monies are handed over as a reward for loyalty and agreeing to shop for the 35 or more points worth of product. As mentioned already, Melaleuca can be informed about not wanting to shop and thus eliminating the backup order from applying. Clearly this is a VERY simple, convenient and flexible shopping club. 5) Difficult to cancel?

100% not true. Because of the convenience of being able to put the account on hold at any time, and thus have no backup order, I've seen accounts cancelled with 15 minutes of a request going through. The longest I've ever found is perhaps a few hours. The only exception is when the request by the customer is not done properly.

Very clear instructions about how to cancel are found from the website. Customers can even watch a video with step by step instructions on how to do so. In conclusion, it is quite sad that you post comments that are so full of holes and misleading.

Hopefully my explanation will allow the facts and truth to come through. An EXCELLENT explanation of everything can be found here: www.melaleucaexposed.com.

@Eulala

You have no idea what you’re talking about, Clearvu. There IS a 35 point requirement which equals no less than $75 with shipping EVERY MONTH!!!

@PissedConsumer1594011

I just received my back up shipment. And was mad.

Next month I will put account on hold. Found out after the fact.

So you are wrong . Sorry

@PissedConsumer1597440

The 35 point "requirement" is IF you want to be a preferred customer and receive all the BENEFITS that go with it. If you don't, then you become a direct customer and you can purchase anything at any time, with no time restriction and no 35 point minimum but also NO monthly benefits.

SO YOU are wrong too.

I 'm glad you received your back up , now then go on your webpage and spend the bonus shopping dollars that you have accrued!! Then if you want to quit, go ahead.

@PissedConsumer1594011

You DO NOT have to shop every month. People do it all the time.

You can shop as many consecutive months as you want and not shop for up to 6 months. If you don't shop for 6 consecutive months, the account shuts completely down. This makes sense if you think about it because how can a person go 6 months without buying day to day type essentials. If a person does not bathe, do laundry, brush their teeth, clean the house, eat, drink, etc., they must have died or went away on vacation for an extended period of time.

In any case, the reference to 35 points is the threshold to meet in order to obtain the discounts of 30% - 50% off the regular prices. You can even shop for less than 35 points if you don't mind paying full price. The only thing to remember is that you need to remove the account from the Preferred Member status in order to shop for less than 35 points.

This is such a simple shopping club. It amazes me how people make it so complicated.

@PissedConsumer1594011

35 points equals about $55.00 a month cost plus shipping. Shipping charges depend on your location.

Now then there is a new warehouse in Tennessee to manage the Mid states and the East coast. West coast people have the Idaho manufacturing facility to deal with. Shipping charges for me is about $7.00 but I pay taxes too so it rolls out at $68-70.00 monthly. Not bad for the product and services I receive and I've been with them for 10 years.

Sometimes I even purchase up to and including $150.00 a month and there are two of us. Those bonus shopping dollars come in real handy when I have big orders like that...I can tell you.

Hmmmm, I have placed orders for less than $75