34.8K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

#1915739
@Kierstan Wjg

I am a preferred customer and I have never been pressured to sell or to recruit sellers.

#1922280
@Kierstan Wjg

They are so a pyramid scheme

@PissedConsumer1806204

Then just unfriend those people and stop complaining

@Catia Mfe

sorry sir you were misinformed . their is absolutely no risk involved in melaleuca if you understand why they have a back up order you will find it a very good policy for a preferred member.

the back up order keeps every marketing excetuive getting a commission on their enroll. it's totally exceptional that a company makes sure you get a minimum of 2.00 on a referred customer . and more if they buy more than 39 base points about 50 bucks.. you spend else where now their is absolutely no reason why anyone in marketing would not understand WHY THE BACK UP ORDER IS A GOOD THING, you say you have a personal enrolled you forget to order or miss the 15th of the months order..

you get a pre determined ( by you an minimum order of product) this means you get a commission you would of missed had you not ordered for the month ..kinda is set up for the people working the business to always get a commission on an enroll ..you just don;t really under stand the way it works it can be very lucrative if your willing to put your mind to it .. .and is certainly no scam in any way shape or form ..

#1900572
@PissedConsumer1839487

I could not come up with any combination of products when trying to edit my backup order that was less than $65 - the $50 mark for 35 points is not accurate and misleading

I want to apologize to all the people who have had a bad experience and then I want to apologize for of these tactics some of the Melaleuca supporters are using in this post. I like the products that Melaleuca sells (been a member for a year).

What makes me different from a lot of Melaleuca customers is that I too agree that some of the ways they go about presenting are a little shady. But that’s why you have to read stuff for yourself. I believe they should use a little more honesty. I also think it is setup like MLM...but it works for many so what does that matter?

It can be a little difficult to cancel. It’s not just a phone call you actually do have to sign a letter (you write it yourself) and scan it in (you can take a pic with your phone). Your enroller cannot do anything to stop you from canceling. They may make you feel bad about canceling and tell you about all the loyalty dollars you are missing out on.

But it is still your choice!! You will be able to see that there are 2 main types of comments when it comes to Melaleuca and very very few like mine. Either extremely negative where they say Melaleuca is a scam and the other type are the ones who defend Melaleuca and not admit that some of these things are true or even understand why some of the methods could make people uncomfortable. Neither approach is correct.

Melaleuca is not a scam. But it does have flaws any company does. Many of the members get so defensive (and make it look worse than it is). But they get defensive because a company they love so much and has helped them is being so badly reviewed.

It’s natural they’d want to share their positive experiences. I just wished they’d go about it the right way. So yes it’s a REAL COMPANY . The products are AMAZING.

There are MANY FLAWS (but what company doesn’t have any). If this may work for you give it a try...if it doesn’t thanks for listening anyways and if you know someone it may work for let them know!

#1915742
@Shakeena Pyn

Great honest review

It's a shame your presenter wasn't appropriately explaining the process. The reason the company name wasn't on the flyer is because they don't advertise.

Also if for whatever reason an independent contractor acts unethically or in a way that is out of line with company policies, then they are not held accountable legally for that person's behavior. Secondly, yes membership is required to purchase products. It's a shopping club. Clubs have fees.

Just like Costco, Sam's or BJ's, or Amazon Prime - except Melaleuca is less than $20 per year. Next it is NOT a requirement to shop for 35 points per month just to be a regular member, but it's an easy target because most people but more than that anyway. Preferred Member status does come with a 35 point minimum and backup order requirements, but you do get access to more deals and benefits. The backup order is meant to be just that, a backup for when a member may forget to shop that month, it keeps the membership status current - you can choose and change the items at anytime and set reminders so that you can avoid having that order shipped.

Cancellation or changing your status from Preferred to Regular is as easy as a phone call. Customer service answers the phone in seconds and typically handles issues in a few (2-4) minutes.

This is my experience from someone who actually did sign up as a customer. My family love the products and we have never had a problem with the service.

Walk softly ...

It’s not a scam ! You get the product and if you don’t understand how it works it’s not their fault because you can’t read

Always interesting when I see folks make a company out to be bad because they are membership based. Companies are able to do more when they know they have folks that will be there monthly. What about when Cell Phone companies made you sign a 2 year contract?

#1691910
@PissedConsumer1660769

When the presentor is told not to mention the company name, and important financial/contractual details get glossed over for the sake of "life changing products", the company makes THEMSELVES out to look bad. These reviewers are simply stating their experiences.

There is a difference between FACTS and slander. My OPINION is that the presentation is sneaky, misleading, pushy and desperate. Other monthly billing companies (such as cell phone companies per your example) or membership based stores like sam's or costco don't use this method of doing business.

Besides, why do you care if people don't sign up? Is because you need more money in the pot for you pyramid scheme?

#1915751
@PissedConsumer1691910

Melaleuca does not pressure anyone to recruit other customers so it is not a pyramid scheme. No one has made any nasty accusations against you for not liking it.

They are not trying to scam anyone or to sell to go others on this site.

They are just giving honest reviews of the products and the company. Only a very bitter and vindictive person would be bothered by the fact that many people are happy with this company or any company or product.

I had these same reservations after the presentation as well. I have a feeling that any company/business that emphasizes signing people up, no matter what the product is, is BS.

This kept playing in my mind as we were encouraged to sign up and tell others.

I do want to try the products so I won't cancel yet. Thank you for your opinion.

@PissedConsumer1531363

Mrs. E.

There is no rule that you have to do anything except use the product. People who sign with melaleuca do it, to either use the product and become a preferred customer (ordering a minimum of 35 product points per month. For that you get many different benefits, including $100.00 back in the first 5 months in free products OR pay for your order. Then after that 15% bonus shopping dollars going into your side account which you can use to pay for your order.

there is also a credit card, and when you use that on the outside, 15% of whatever you spent goes into your bonus shopping pool so that you can use it to buy monthly product. Then if you continue and if your enroller is building a business you get 7% of his/her business every month. There is NO emphasis that you HAVE TO enroll others.

NONE. Hope this helps.

@PissedConsumer1624984

This is very helpful, thank you!

I absolutely don't understand you comment. It just doesn't make any sense.

It sounds like you are saying that your enroller won't allow you to cancel your membership??? That makes no sense whatsoever. It's not up to the enroller. It's up to the YOU, the customer.

If you want to quit, just quit.

You don't need approval from anyone but yourself. I can understand that it can negatively affect the enroller depending on their status, but that's life.

You talk about enroller problems. My enroller had me sign up at 18 and I couldn't cancel my account becuase it was non negotiable with her.

Well, at 30 I got married and my husband and I had so much melaleuca from over the years that we ended up throwing away hundreds of dollars of products. It was a waste but what do you do with so much product that is taking up space? We canceled our account. My enroller recently found out that our account is canceled and she won't allow that to happen.

I think I'll eventually be forced to sign back up. She said she will pay for us to sign up and pay for our products monthly so she can keep her status but bottom line is we don't want the products. The CEO is great.

I respect Frank and the business he runs but the enrollers are crazy and obsessed. I got out for many reasons but one major reason is the way people who do the business do not give the customer an option of getting out.

@PissedConsumer1529034

Not true. The enroller has no authority over whether you stay or quit.

NONE. They also cannot pay for you to stay so they can keep their so called status...that's an AMWAY issue...as people in Melaleuca are NOT IN AN MLM company. You DO KNOW the difference don't you? Melaleuca is customer direct marketing, while Amway and all the rest out there aren't....and you have to go through your SPONSOR each time which is why they know what you're doing and have something to say about it.

Customer direct marketing is simply shopping at the company, like opening up a shopping account at any major store and shopping on line.

There's no middle man. Sorry for what you're going through BUT you're describing an MLM company but not ours.

@PissedConsumer1529269

good to know, you explained this very well.

Melaleuca Reviews