Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
21.5K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

FYI the products are awesome and the back up order is to protect your shopping dollars No company other then Melaleuca gives you free products every month. The product points is money Frank ships everywhere around the world so 35 products points is the money value everyone pays the same.

To cancel all you have to do is fax in that you no long want to be a customer. Build a business is hard work but pays off every job is hard the pay from this company is better then working long hours tax man take 30% you have buy gas to get there working from home is awesome. Don't write about thing you don't understand get your facts straight all the best.

Oh and Melaleuca helps the environment that should have been a good enough reason for you to want to be a member Oh ya Costco check out how much they charge and they don't give any free products.

@Anonymous

BS on the cancellation policy being that easy. It took 3 months and a letter from an attorney to get them to cancel. I had faxed, mailed, called, faxed, etc, as they took over $300 from me.

@Anonymous

Costco, Costco, Costco... You people assume our only choices are Melaleuca or Costco??

Ridiculous.

I get my environmentally friendly products from Target. Inexpensive and works absolutely fine.

Thank you for taking the time to put this information out in the public for us to read.

So sorry you were "high Pressured" to become a "sales person", which none of us are, none of us sell any product, ever... It's simple and easy to cancel your membership on the last day of the month before midnight, mountain time...

Yes you can purchase a product or more directly from Melaleuca without being a "member", simply pay the full price, membership gives you 30% to 50% off !!!

Melaleuca will refund your money or credit your account whichever you prefer. So sorry you were possibly misinformed on so many points, or not paying attention ?

For over 20 years now I have had 99% satisfied customers and I always, always inform an interested individual that I will be introducing the Melaleuca company, I am PROUD to represent them and do not hide the company name like those in Amway do . .

. Hope you give it another try sometime...

Best Wishes Always,

Jerry

@Anonymous

Really then maybe you should surf the facebook groups where I see ads for this company but the company name is sent via pm message,. So I its such a wonderful company and so great then Why are members hiding the true facts about the company unless there are big issues with the company. So really who hiding behind who.

@anonymous09

I'm on face book and I don't see it anywhere. So please tell me where I can go to see these ads.

@anonymous09

If you cruise FB you'll see everyone's adds out there and you'll see everyone's monthly orders too....if you can't associate the product (it says MELALEUCA right on it) to who someone represents...I feel sorry for you. GO on my webpage.....look at 8 is the magic number, look at 4 steps to wellness....

there are a few more.

WE DON"T HIDE FROM THE PUBLIC. THE PUBLIC HIDES FROM US!!

Is their a group of folks secretly meeting to order their monthly requirements online? Shame Melaleuca takes the stance they do.

I have a family of 9!

That's 9! I realize I could easily afford and need the products, but I refuse to on principle.

@Anonymous

You refuse to save money on principle? YOU'RE LOSS!!

Just found this page. I agree with the tons of posters below. As long as Mel makes me buy each month I will not be a part of Mel.

@Anonymous

I have no idea why there are postings about having to purchase products monthly. Where is that coming from?

While there are benefits to shopping monthly, it is not a requirement. With over 500 products in the store that simply replace what people buy every month, I can't see why a person would NOT shop monthly, but that's up to the customer.

info@globalwellnessandhealthgroup.com

@Anonymous

I just got off of a teleconference for the company and it is a requirement to join order and receive 35 points of product per month if you don't place an order they will send you your original order that month and every month you don't order.

@Anonymous

Actually to be a referred member you are REQUIRED to buy 35 ($60) points of product every month, no exception.

I can understand your concern with the monthly purchase. I have been a member of Melaleuca for 5 years.

I am not in a business. I use the products because they do work. One has to remember you are using only products you use anyway. Instead of purchasing soaps and toothpaste, shampoo and ect at the grocery you are buying from a catalogue.

I use the intenet to place my order. My only peeve is the shipping.

It can add up.

@Anonymous

This is a common response from those who use Melaleuca. I actually kept track over the course of six months my cost at my local grocery store versus the required purchases from Melaleuca.

The cheaper option? The grocery store. Why?

Often I did not need to go to the grocery store to refill products as a single individual. The day Mel drops their points requirement, I will sign up.

Ivah
@Anonymous

Common response to those who use Melaleuca. You are comparing the grocery store vs shopping at Melaleuca and you claim shopping at the grocery store is cheaper?

Well of course it is, because you are buying CHEAPER QUALITY products. It simple. Go back to the grocery store and tell them you are disatified with the product and want you money back and they'll laugh. They only sell it, and unless the package is broken, no refund.

Oh and did the grocery store off you $100.00 worth of free products for shopping with them? NO?? Did they offer bonus shopping dollars of 15% monthly that you can use to shop for your products for free? NO??

Gee I wonder why, because Melaleuca does all that....and if you are going to do the research try this......do the cost per use instead of the cost per box. Melaleuca is cheaper all the time and top quality.

You want to pay cheap prices? You pay for cheap quality too.

@Ivah

You people are unbelievable. Do you ever stop to consider that not everyone can afford the 35 points each and every month. No other company like Melaleuca puts people down for not buying their products.

@Anonymous

The grocery store was cheaper. Yup....you purchased low quality at a low price and the one thing you didn't do was look at cost per use, instead of cost per package.

FOR instance Tide that wonderful 2 times the strength....or ARM and HAMMER (the cheapest laundry detergent out there) ....is tide still requiring 1 oz per load? How about 3/4 of an oz per load but if the load is extra grimy you want to use more. It takes 3 bottles of tide ultra 2X (96 loads) to equal one bottle of Mela power, 96 loads and tide will cost you $23.97 and Mela will cost you $17.49. BIG DIFFERENCE....keep shopping at the grocery store, cheaper isn't always better.

In the long run you save more because our products LAST LONGER. Cost per use over cost per package.

Ivah
@Anonymous

Where can you order products like Melaleuca without paying shipping and handling? We have some of the cheapest shipping rates around.

They don't use peanuts or any other Styrofoam or paper products in the boxes...they use air cells. So what you are paying shipping prices for is what you purchased, with nothing added in.

Melaleuca Reviews