Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22.1K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

These people are HILARIOUS. They say they are part of Melaleuca and are a wonderful company and they respect the company, yet they cant even respect a person who PERSONALLY chose NOT to join.

JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, there will be people who will like it and those who wont. People who will join a company as an example, and those who wont. But you salty motherf---ers are STILL PUSHING on how its SO GOOD to be a member. Just stop it.

Stop pushing it. People have said no and THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, besides your lunatic adverses coming onto people. We get that Melaleuca can be good if you believe it to be so, but it AINT FOR EVERYONE.Coming from a family who loves Melaleuca, has bought Melaleuca, and STILL KNOWS that people have their own rights and knows it is STUPID to just shove things down others throats.

Please have respect to others, as a person. Not some drilled in Melaleuca head psycho.Thank you :)

@AnonymousAtBest

Not pushing it, but not letting people who slam the company get away with it, because they're not happy with the enroller. The enroller is a business person who knows that he/she gets paid for putting product in people's homes, so they try anything to get the job done.

Most of them are honest however like everything else, there are those that go out of their way to be a PIA and then you get someone like you, who knocks every thing and everyone associated with the company. If you don't want your life changed....don't join.

your choice. Keep your money, better yet, vote democrat and give it to them when they go up on your taxes so they can live well while you grovel in poorness.

I WAS a member of Melaleuca for a little over a year, and I loved each product I ordered. I used their "gold bar" soap, laundry detergent, Attain powder, and bars, and just about every cleaning product.

The only problem I had was after canceling, I had enough products to last me another two years! I still have cleaning products.

The only problem now is, do I toss out the unopened packages of Attain powder, and bars? They have absolutely no expiration date on them?

I know two people in my area that are rep's, and when I ask them, they either don't get back to me, or they don't know.

@Tiffanie

Attain will be fine. Soap doesn’t go bad

@Tiffanie

I have honestly never heard of these products,good or bad, until I stumbled across these reviews today. I'm definitely going to do more research, so far seems to be pretty equal when it comes to love or hate, it is a thin line between the two.

My question is, and it's genuine, I hope I don't sound like a smart butt. Anyway, I'm just curious if you like the product and use them for over a year why did you stop using them and then not continue to use the products you still had? Especially natural cleaning products I love to clean with vinegar personally and my young Sons can clean also and I don't have to worry about them being around a toxic chemical. I'm also a fan of organic thieves oil for cleaning and many other things.

From what I've read I could understand if it got expensive so you decided to stop but then I'm just not understanding why you didn't continue to use the product you already had? I get it there wasn't an expiration date but hey it's a cleaning product what's the big deal?

Of all the reviews glamorizing or destroying this product your review caught my eye. It made me curious.

@TAYSHA Patterson

Tasha, if you're going to research the company look up the Freiberg Study and the Sterling Report. As far as the cleaners are concerned they are all organic and natural, no child proof caps needed as nothing is poisonous.

Great products, full strength, (need to be diluted)...cost effective. Good luck.

They (supplements) saved my life and brought me back from death's door. Love them for that.

@Tiffanie

I tossed my products. We just had too many and with a baby on the way no space so we decided to just toss them.

@Anonymous

With a baby on the way you should've kept them. Perfectly safe to use around baby, especially the solugard, safer than bleach and kills more germs than lisol....and perfectly safe around baby, pets, food and so forth.

@Tiffanie

If you had that much products; you were either not cleaning your house, or keeping your personal hygiene up. And definitely not using the products as intended.

Wow! You are rude!

If people like you are involved with this company, I want nothing to do with it. You all sound cultish.

Thank you so much for this review. I was not familiar with Melaleuca and some friends invited me lunch on the premise of sharing military experience, however, the husband wore his Melaleuca shirt.

So, they weaved it into the conversation, and tried to "sell it" like all I had to do was order 35 points worth of vitamins and there was no other obligation. Also, they HAVE to have me over to their house for more information by the end of the month. This review helps.

They did make it clear that there is no signing new people, no uplines/downlines, but I'm not sure about the whole thing. I want to make sure I have a CHOICE and am able to walk away without purchasing, if I chose.

@JN

Friends don’t push pyramid schemes on friends. This company is scary.

Ivah

One last comment to this person, There is NO emphasis on signing new people, there are no UPLINE/DOWNLINE (that's AMWAY) you can join as a preferred customer and shop with us monthly or you can build a business and make some profit. It isn't sold as a business ONLY outfit and again if you understood that in the presentation, you didn't listen very well.

The company isn't MLM...and if you think that enrolling others is MLM then you should take a look at your life insurance salesman and tell them they are also MLM!

Any sales job requires putting in hours. You can be as successful as you want. If you handle this as a business and commit to it you will make money. If you treat it as a hobby, you won't.

There is no upline, no downline, and everyone gets in at the same place. Where you go from there is up to you.

Don't badmouth a company because you didn't get rich because you didn't follow their format, you didn't take in the trainings, you didn't go to the Super Saturday trainings, you didn't attend the January blastoff meetings, you didn't go to the regional conferences, you didn't watch the learn to earn videos, you didn't attend the monthly dinners, you didn't make any phone calls, you didn't listen to the first of the month incentive calls, you didn't get involved with nightly trainings going on with your groups, you didn't TAKE IT SERIOUSLY AT ALL. It isn't the company that failed you, it is YOU that failed you and then blamed the company.

@Ivah

I have been in a way before for several years and melaleuca is basically similar the only thing is Amway has better customer service and let's you choose if you want a backup order or not. Anyway is worth the extra money I have products at home I am about to through the melaleuca products out because of the horrible customer service!

@Anonymous

First of all the invitation is educational, in case you don't know about us here we are. This is a yes or no invitation.

There is no arm twisting or anything else. Some of the people out there get overly excited and need to try anything to get a consumer to sit down and listen. Oh well. We don't identify ourselves, we're trained not to.

Simple really when all we're trying to do is get you to listen to what we have. No one has to start a business. Read that again. NO ONE HAS TO START A BUSINESS.

You can be a consumer. What the heck, if they did the presentation correctly, you will A) SAVE MONEY, B) MAKE MONEY (for being a consumer). C) you will be buying quality products for less money than where you're buying them now. They'll last longer than your current product making them cost effective.

The requirement of 35 points. Well let me see that's 50.00 a month. Big money I guess. There are people out there that spent 25.00 a week at Dunkin donuts....gotta have that chocolate caramel cappuccino at $ 3.00 a pop but you drink 7 of those per week.

Its what's Important to you. If you notice, the 35 point order makes the whole thing work. with over 360 products available to you, you can't find 35 points? We're a family of two (2) and our product points are over 75 each month.

Once you've tried the coffee you'll love it. BETTER than Dunkin DO-D0. If you are into health, you'll want to be on OUR product line over anyone else's, at least with us you'll get a GUARENTEED ROA with our products instead of the (It's all natural) line meaning what? Dirt is all natural too, will you readily absorb it?

NO. We guarantee you'll absorb at least 90%. No one else can give you that claim. WHICH MEANS if you are taking any Over the counter brands of vitamins you are getting 35%?

Like your product now? That's called product QUALITY. It's also called deceiving the public. There's no one in the product isle to tell you what you're ingesting.

How it will effect you and the ONLY WAY to find that out is have your blood drawn and tested for those amounts. Once again, if the agent did the presentation correctly (and followed the book) there is NO WAY they could skip the insurance order (back up)....and that is only there to guarantee you don't lose your Preferred Customer Benefits . REMEMBER THOSE?? When you choose 35 product points you get significant rewards.

When was the last time CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart offered you $100.00 for shopping at their stores? OR 15% cash back for shopping with them. We'll give you 15% and you get to shop at over 650 retailers, people like JC PENNY, KOHL'S, LL.BEAN, NORDSTROM, TARGET, DELL, THE HOME DEPOT, (just to name a few) those stores you are already shopping at and you're not saving the extra we offer. DID you remember that being a 35 point shopper allows you to 7% monthly check?

As your enrollers business gets bigger you get a bigger slice of the pie. Tell me which of your favorite stores will send you a 7% check every month on their business.

Did you know that 96% of the customers that shopped with Melaleuca last month will shop with them this month? That's why. The benefits FAR OUTWEIGH the costs.

Cancelling is easy if you follow the directions.

Don't cancel on the last day of the month. Cancel in the beginning of the month and you'll be done.

@Rltorlai

35 points is $60.00 a month and with tax and shipping it comes to $75.00

@Rltorlai

To Mrs Starbucks is $150 a month. I've only heard of this product as of 30 mins ago when I stumbled across these reviews,and I'm in no way defending the product but if it was great and worked for you,me,him or her $75 is a pretty good deal in my eyes.

$2 soda diet regular or water $60 a month.

Lunch out $150-300, other vitamins, fresh fruits and vegetables etc. Way up there.

@Anonymous

So Horrible customer service = poor quality product? WOW!

Amway is circling the drain. Their product line is sub-standard . They've been sued more times for fraudulent practices than anyone in the business. Melaleuca IS a REGISTERED PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY.

Amway isn't. No one else is. What does that mean to you? It means the quality in Mela's products FAR EXCEEDS Amway or Shaklee, or any of the others in the business.

We have a code of ethics and we practice that code.

I wish I knew more about your customer service complaint, or basically what YOU don't like about our business practices. Sorry you don't like it.

@Anonymous

I am a member of Melaleaca and have been for over a year! I love their products and use only their products!!

Laundry detergent that you only use one pump full as well as the fabric softener. I use the vitamins and all the cleaning supplies! I love knowing that the products have safe stuff in them and no harsh chemicals! No child proof caps because the products are not caustic!!You people need to stop being so critical.

You are not forced to be a member and buy these products! If you don’t like them then start shopping at the grocery store or Walmart again and spend more money!!

We don’t care!! It’s your loss!!!

@Philspassion

I've been a member for over 10 years. We're a family of 2 and I spend easily 150.00 a month.

I'm in it for the supplements (brought me back from death's door from LYME disease and I suffered a stroke and I'm back 90% from that damage too. We use the laundry detergent, and all the rest of the personal care products. Love their coffee, drink their teas, eat their breakfast cereals and snacks. We are a melaleuca household and are proud of it.

I use the bonus shopping dollars and sometimes buy the whole month supply for nothing. LOVE 'EM!

Melaleuca Reviews