Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
21.5K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

@Tiffanie

If you had that much products; you were either not cleaning your house, or keeping your personal hygiene up. And definitely not using the products as intended.

Wow! You are rude!

If people like you are involved with this company, I want nothing to do with it. You all sound cultish.

Thank you so much for this review. I was not familiar with Melaleuca and some friends invited me lunch on the premise of sharing military experience, however, the husband wore his Melaleuca shirt.

So, they weaved it into the conversation, and tried to "sell it" like all I had to do was order 35 points worth of vitamins and there was no other obligation. Also, they HAVE to have me over to their house for more information by the end of the month. This review helps.

They did make it clear that there is no signing new people, no uplines/downlines, but I'm not sure about the whole thing. I want to make sure I have a CHOICE and am able to walk away without purchasing, if I chose.

@JN

Friends don’t push pyramid schemes on friends. This company is scary.

Ivah

One last comment to this person, There is NO emphasis on signing new people, there are no UPLINE/DOWNLINE (that's AMWAY) you can join as a preferred customer and shop with us monthly or you can build a business and make some profit. It isn't sold as a business ONLY outfit and again if you understood that in the presentation, you didn't listen very well.

The company isn't MLM...and if you think that enrolling others is MLM then you should take a look at your life insurance salesman and tell them they are also MLM!

Any sales job requires putting in hours. You can be as successful as you want. If you handle this as a business and commit to it you will make money. If you treat it as a hobby, you won't.

There is no upline, no downline, and everyone gets in at the same place. Where you go from there is up to you.

Don't badmouth a company because you didn't get rich because you didn't follow their format, you didn't take in the trainings, you didn't go to the Super Saturday trainings, you didn't attend the January blastoff meetings, you didn't go to the regional conferences, you didn't watch the learn to earn videos, you didn't attend the monthly dinners, you didn't make any phone calls, you didn't listen to the first of the month incentive calls, you didn't get involved with nightly trainings going on with your groups, you didn't TAKE IT SERIOUSLY AT ALL. It isn't the company that failed you, it is YOU that failed you and then blamed the company.

@Ivah

I have been in a way before for several years and melaleuca is basically similar the only thing is Amway has better customer service and let's you choose if you want a backup order or not. Anyway is worth the extra money I have products at home I am about to through the melaleuca products out because of the horrible customer service!

@Anonymous

First of all the invitation is educational, in case you don't know about us here we are. This is a yes or no invitation.

There is no arm twisting or anything else. Some of the people out there get overly excited and need to try anything to get a consumer to sit down and listen. Oh well. We don't identify ourselves, we're trained not to.

Simple really when all we're trying to do is get you to listen to what we have. No one has to start a business. Read that again. NO ONE HAS TO START A BUSINESS.

You can be a consumer. What the heck, if they did the presentation correctly, you will A) SAVE MONEY, B) MAKE MONEY (for being a consumer). C) you will be buying quality products for less money than where you're buying them now. They'll last longer than your current product making them cost effective.

The requirement of 35 points. Well let me see that's 50.00 a month. Big money I guess. There are people out there that spent 25.00 a week at Dunkin donuts....gotta have that chocolate caramel cappuccino at $ 3.00 a pop but you drink 7 of those per week.

Its what's Important to you. If you notice, the 35 point order makes the whole thing work. with over 360 products available to you, you can't find 35 points? We're a family of two (2) and our product points are over 75 each month.

Once you've tried the coffee you'll love it. BETTER than Dunkin DO-D0. If you are into health, you'll want to be on OUR product line over anyone else's, at least with us you'll get a GUARENTEED ROA with our products instead of the (It's all natural) line meaning what? Dirt is all natural too, will you readily absorb it?

NO. We guarantee you'll absorb at least 90%. No one else can give you that claim. WHICH MEANS if you are taking any Over the counter brands of vitamins you are getting 35%?

Like your product now? That's called product QUALITY. It's also called deceiving the public. There's no one in the product isle to tell you what you're ingesting.

How it will effect you and the ONLY WAY to find that out is have your blood drawn and tested for those amounts. Once again, if the agent did the presentation correctly (and followed the book) there is NO WAY they could skip the insurance order (back up)....and that is only there to guarantee you don't lose your Preferred Customer Benefits . REMEMBER THOSE?? When you choose 35 product points you get significant rewards.

When was the last time CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart offered you $100.00 for shopping at their stores? OR 15% cash back for shopping with them. We'll give you 15% and you get to shop at over 650 retailers, people like JC PENNY, KOHL'S, LL.BEAN, NORDSTROM, TARGET, DELL, THE HOME DEPOT, (just to name a few) those stores you are already shopping at and you're not saving the extra we offer. DID you remember that being a 35 point shopper allows you to 7% monthly check?

As your enrollers business gets bigger you get a bigger slice of the pie. Tell me which of your favorite stores will send you a 7% check every month on their business.

Did you know that 96% of the customers that shopped with Melaleuca last month will shop with them this month? That's why. The benefits FAR OUTWEIGH the costs.

Cancelling is easy if you follow the directions.

Don't cancel on the last day of the month. Cancel in the beginning of the month and you'll be done.

@Rltorlai

35 points is $60.00 a month and with tax and shipping it comes to $75.00

@Rltorlai

To Mrs Starbucks is $150 a month. I've only heard of this product as of 30 mins ago when I stumbled across these reviews,and I'm in no way defending the product but if it was great and worked for you,me,him or her $75 is a pretty good deal in my eyes.

$2 soda diet regular or water $60 a month.

Lunch out $150-300, other vitamins, fresh fruits and vegetables etc. Way up there.

@Anonymous

So Horrible customer service = poor quality product? WOW!

Amway is circling the drain. Their product line is sub-standard . They've been sued more times for fraudulent practices than anyone in the business. Melaleuca IS a REGISTERED PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY.

Amway isn't. No one else is. What does that mean to you? It means the quality in Mela's products FAR EXCEEDS Amway or Shaklee, or any of the others in the business.

We have a code of ethics and we practice that code.

I wish I knew more about your customer service complaint, or basically what YOU don't like about our business practices. Sorry you don't like it.

@Anonymous

I am a member of Melaleaca and have been for over a year! I love their products and use only their products!!

Laundry detergent that you only use one pump full as well as the fabric softener. I use the vitamins and all the cleaning supplies! I love knowing that the products have safe stuff in them and no harsh chemicals! No child proof caps because the products are not caustic!!You people need to stop being so critical.

You are not forced to be a member and buy these products! If you don’t like them then start shopping at the grocery store or Walmart again and spend more money!!

We don’t care!! It’s your loss!!!

@Philspassion

I've been a member for over 10 years. We're a family of 2 and I spend easily 150.00 a month.

I'm in it for the supplements (brought me back from death's door from LYME disease and I suffered a stroke and I'm back 90% from that damage too. We use the laundry detergent, and all the rest of the personal care products. Love their coffee, drink their teas, eat their breakfast cereals and snacks. We are a melaleuca household and are proud of it.

I use the bonus shopping dollars and sometimes buy the whole month supply for nothing. LOVE 'EM!

@Philspassion

I've been with them since 2008. I look forward to ordering and receiving the order every month.

I've built up over $200.00 in bonus shopping dollars and spent them all on one month. Loved it. I'm a lifer customer. I respond so well to everything they have.

I went on their diet plan (where everything else failed) including the program the dr put me on, and dropped 50 pounds on their program. LOVE 'EM.

@Ivah

Wow, that was nasty. They gave an explanation of why they didn’t join.

You don’t read very well. If you are a representative of Melaleuca, your response is a huge red flag for me.

@Anne Marie

It’s a pyramid scheme, no matter how they spin it. The percentage of people who actually make it to the levels of success they pitch are less than 5%.

Most are working like dogs and spending more money to go to the meetings, buy books, training, and purchasing way more than they need, believing in the dream of getting wealthy. They will never admit the truth. But, you will see how many times they’ve been sued. Then, the company disappears and reappears under a new name.

The shipping charges for the overpriced products, also drive up the costs. If people weren’t getting scammed by clever omissions, and difficulties with what was presented versus what wasn’t, these people wouldn’t have to sell you on their scams so hard! Most people have to work!

They cannot devote the amount of time that is required to be successful at this. But, the presenters are the ones making it out to be easy success.

@Ivah

The reason I quit being a melaleuca member is because the "work at home!" lie you are told isn't really just working at home. See the above comment for proof of that.

@Ivah

You are just showing how much hard, hard work goes into working for this company. I'll stick to shopping with Amazon. NO PRESSURE :}

Ivah

I don't do in home presentations so I can't comment about your #1. However, #2 you can sign on as a regular member and buy products anytime you want and pay retail.

So preferred customer is what we try to show because there are just so many benefits to being a preferred customer, like $100.00 rebate in the first 4 months, plus 15% bonus shopping dollars after 4 months, savings of up to 40% on quality concentrated products that actually SAVE YOU MONEY, if you're into doing your homework, do it correctly. 90 day feel better guarantee or your money refunded and that includes your membership fee.

#3. 35 product points...boy that's a tough one....with over 360 products you can't find 35 points to order? If you take anytype of vitamin, or health product you'd spend 35 points right there, then add to it the personal care items, laundry, medicine cabinet.

We're a family of two in our house and we do an easy 75 points plus every month. 35 points...is $52.00 a month. We say no new money. Switch stores and save.

Apparently you can't do that.

#4. It is MANDATORY that the representative tells you about the back up order and it is WRITTEN in the presentation manual that we all follow. We can't skip it because you have to INITIAL the box and if you enroll by phone they ask you if you know about the back up order. Some people don't like it, because they think that they'll be sent an order that they don't want....but in actuality, we tailor make that back up order to what you do want and many people let that back up order come every month instead of ordering.

They find it very handy. I have been with Melaleuca since 2008. They have sent me my back up order three times....and those three times, my activities of the month got away from me and I forgot to order, so my order came and I was truly thankful.

#5. You didn't do your research well enough.

Cancelling membership is actually easy. Go on your website and look for it. You'll find it in the business section.

OR you can call customer service and they will tell you where to find it as well. They won't strong arm you into staying.

Everyone of your complaints are very legit...

On a per use basis, including the extremely low shipping rate, Melaleuca cost less when compared to comparable products. What I mean by that is you can NOT compare Melaleuca toothpaste to Colgate or Crest.

You must compare it to other natural toothpaste like Jason's or Tom's.

The only people who struggle with the 35 product points are those who still shop at other local stores.

Why would someone want to buy other brands manufactured by companies who don't care about what ingredients they use?

My family consist of only two people and we shop for 120 - 140 worth of points monthly. If Melaleuca did not exist, we would be buying those products anyways, but paying more for them.

Melaleuca Reviews