33.2K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

#1915726
@PissedConsumer1791944

Where is your evidence that people are lying? So because you don't like something that means no one else can like it?

No I don't work for the company. I am a preferred customer and I have never been under any pressure to recruit anyone.

#1791944
@PissedConsumer1772771

You guys must work for them. So sad that you have to stoop to these lies to try to convince people.

#1915732
@PissedConsumer1760022

I too am a very pleased customer for the same reasons.

Yes your on point!!

@Catia

It is MLM. Anytime there is an up line or down line it’s MLM.

I buy products with no chemicals or parabans at my local store for cheaper and I only buy them when I need them. I also don’t have to cancel my credit card if i want to buy another brand next time I shop.

#1791934
@PissedConsumer1764221

Actually read up on the NON toxic products your buying at the store. They have one or more of the most toxins!

Read up on Dreft and Meyer dish soap etc! If u have any questions I don’t sell it, I have a great job! But I love the products and I do love that if u tell someone about it and they sign up u get a piece of the pie! I don’t ever tell anyone to join.

They ask! So if u want no pressure and just want to review it and know it’s not just a couple options tonspent 35 points, I’ll show u what I do. I skip certain things I used to get at stores and online places and get them here and save is all! Not one person made me feel I should start seeking ppl and selling.

If u need help to see how it’s really sup to be done and how it works and benefits me ...

a single dog mom lol, message me :) again I have a great full time job w many bonuses. I just shop here!

@Catia

Nothing or no one is perfect. From the sounds of this original consumer; they must have gotten a bad rep because all of the red flags are things that we are required to mention in the presentation.

I find that most complaints are of those that are misinformed. We complain about things with do everyday. You get a gym membership and you pay monthly regardless if you go to the gym or not. You pay a membership to be able to purchase cheap products from Amazon.

Memberships are designed to help Manufacturers plan better. With Over 500 products 35pts is a joke. I always say that with Melaleuca you can't lose money, Why? If you buy a product and you like and use it; you did not lose your money.

If you buy a product and don't like it there is a 100% Money Back Guarantee so again you did not lose any money. Folks have their reasoning for joining Network Marketing/Direct Sales Companies and unfortunately some with bad mouth each other because they are trying to win folks to their company. People will try to make Melaleuca out to be a monster however I look at it totally different. Here is a company that can do like all the other big boys and pay a marketing firm to advertise it products and keep the profit; however Melaleuca give folks the opportunity to make income by marketing their products, I think this is one of the most non selfish act a company can do.

I don't see Walmart sharing in any profits!

Many folks are non able to think for themselves so they make many decisions based off of hearsay so that is why we don't blast Melaleuca's name because if we did folks will search the internet for negative (human nature) and not experience the good this company is doing. To each it's own however I can tell you that their are bad reps that will give go against company policy and cause post like this and there is no way around it.

@Catia

With respect, tarnishing the brand integrity? That is a total load of hog wash.

It's a very specific marketing tactic utilized for the purpose of drawing interest. The only thing that would tarnish the brand's integrity would be the continuous sale and advertisement of products that very clearly do not work as described. (It Works wraps, for example). In addition, the company is 100% an MLM.

The breakdown of the different "levels" and earning potential for referrals is proof of that. Also, as with other MLMs, reps frequently leave out information in their advertisements in order to hook a client, so this couple's explanation makes perfect sense.

It's shady business. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still going to be a pig.

@Catia

@Catia. It 100% is an MLM.

Stop saying that it isn't! There's uplines/downlines, levels you rank up, recruiting of others to join etc. it's literally no different than any other MLM. Lol..

And they don't say the name because it weakens the brand? That is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Seriously! And yes, there are chemical free brands that you can get that's not from an MLM or your "shop club".

That's the problem with you MLM's, y'all say yours is the best in the world. If that was the case,it would be sold on the shelves of stores, not sold by an MLM company. Do you guys ever listen to how stupid you sound with you spew this nonsense? Luckily, there's such a large anti MLM movement that's growing by the day, so in a few years, it's gonna be harder for you guys to con people, because it's being talked about so much more now.

Go look at the huge anti MLM YouTube channels, go look at the 500,000 people that are members of the the sub Reddit, anti/MLM. Go look at the 150k members of the group "Sounds like MLM, but ok" on Facebook. And you can thank yourselves for this movement.

The predatory tactics you use to prey on people,, the auto ships these reps don't disclose, the Photoshopping of pictures, the income claims they make, the *** products they sell, the egregious medical claims they make, the cold messaging etc etc. People are getting tired of it.

@PissedConsumer1806204

The FTC is cracking down on MLM companies left, right and center. This is GREAT for the consumer and a protection for innocent people getting conned by such companies.

Fortunately, Melaleuca is not MLM. They are so far from that business model it isn't funny. I have a friend that is owns a Real Estate business. There are multiple levels of income earned depending on the position a person is.

Many even set up referral incentives, all of which are like Melaleuca. Having multiple levels of pay does not make a business MLM. In any case, the FTC actually uses Melaleuca's business model as an example of how other business should operate.

Melaleuca is squeaky clean and will be the last one standing when MLM companies are all shut down. To be educated about what Melaleuca is and is not, a great site is https://www.melaleucaexposed.com.

#1915739
@Kierstan

I am a preferred customer and I have never been pressured to sell or to recruit sellers.

#1922280
@Kierstan

They are so a pyramid scheme

@PissedConsumer1806204

Then just unfriend those people and stop complaining

@Catia

sorry sir you were misinformed . their is absolutely no risk involved in melaleuca if you understand why they have a back up order you will find it a very good policy for a preferred member.

the back up order keeps every marketing excetuive getting a commission on their enroll. it's totally exceptional that a company makes sure you get a minimum of 2.00 on a referred customer . and more if they buy more than 39 base points about 50 bucks.. you spend else where now their is absolutely no reason why anyone in marketing would not understand WHY THE BACK UP ORDER IS A GOOD THING, you say you have a personal enrolled you forget to order or miss the 15th of the months order..

you get a pre determined ( by you an minimum order of product) this means you get a commission you would of missed had you not ordered for the month ..kinda is set up for the people working the business to always get a commission on an enroll ..you just don;t really under stand the way it works it can be very lucrative if your willing to put your mind to it .. .and is certainly no scam in any way shape or form ..

#1900572
@PissedConsumer1839487

I could not come up with any combination of products when trying to edit my backup order that was less than $65 - the $50 mark for 35 points is not accurate and misleading

I want to apologize to all the people who have had a bad experience and then I want to apologize for of these tactics some of the Melaleuca supporters are using in this post. I like the products that Melaleuca sells (been a member for a year).

What makes me different from a lot of Melaleuca customers is that I too agree that some of the ways they go about presenting are a little shady. But that’s why you have to read stuff for yourself. I believe they should use a little more honesty. I also think it is setup like MLM...but it works for many so what does that matter?

It can be a little difficult to cancel. It’s not just a phone call you actually do have to sign a letter (you write it yourself) and scan it in (you can take a pic with your phone). Your enroller cannot do anything to stop you from canceling. They may make you feel bad about canceling and tell you about all the loyalty dollars you are missing out on.

But it is still your choice!! You will be able to see that there are 2 main types of comments when it comes to Melaleuca and very very few like mine. Either extremely negative where they say Melaleuca is a scam and the other type are the ones who defend Melaleuca and not admit that some of these things are true or even understand why some of the methods could make people uncomfortable. Neither approach is correct.

Melaleuca is not a scam. But it does have flaws any company does. Many of the members get so defensive (and make it look worse than it is). But they get defensive because a company they love so much and has helped them is being so badly reviewed.

It’s natural they’d want to share their positive experiences. I just wished they’d go about it the right way. So yes it’s a REAL COMPANY . The products are AMAZING.

There are MANY FLAWS (but what company doesn’t have any). If this may work for you give it a try...if it doesn’t thanks for listening anyways and if you know someone it may work for let them know!

#1915742
@Shakeena

Great honest review

It's a shame your presenter wasn't appropriately explaining the process. The reason the company name wasn't on the flyer is because they don't advertise.

Also if for whatever reason an independent contractor acts unethically or in a way that is out of line with company policies, then they are not held accountable legally for that person's behavior. Secondly, yes membership is required to purchase products. It's a shopping club. Clubs have fees.

Just like Costco, Sam's or BJ's, or Amazon Prime - except Melaleuca is less than $20 per year. Next it is NOT a requirement to shop for 35 points per month just to be a regular member, but it's an easy target because most people but more than that anyway. Preferred Member status does come with a 35 point minimum and backup order requirements, but you do get access to more deals and benefits. The backup order is meant to be just that, a backup for when a member may forget to shop that month, it keeps the membership status current - you can choose and change the items at anytime and set reminders so that you can avoid having that order shipped.

Cancellation or changing your status from Preferred to Regular is as easy as a phone call. Customer service answers the phone in seconds and typically handles issues in a few (2-4) minutes.

This is my experience from someone who actually did sign up as a customer. My family love the products and we have never had a problem with the service.

Walk softly ...

It’s not a scam ! You get the product and if you don’t understand how it works it’s not their fault because you can’t read

Melaleuca Reviews