34.8K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

Hahaha typical mlm hun.

@PissedConsumer1849623

You are dead on. It is just a matter of time before people will realize that they can't afford NOT to shop at Melaleuca.

People rag about the membership fee and yet there are tons of companies that do that, Costco being just one of them. Additionally, a person does NOT HAVE to shop every month either although most do because they are simply switching stores for things they were buying before ever becoming a Melaleuca shopper.

#1910732
@PissedConsumer1850475

You absolutely have to shop every month, hence the FORCED back up order. You people act like this is like Costco and it's not!

I buy a membership there and I go and buy when I want, they don't force me to purchase $80 dollars worth of stuff monthly.. Furthermore, Costco doesn't make me fax or mail them a cancellation form either. I buy a membership for a year and when the years up, it's up. Melaleuca is just another predatory MLM company.

And DO NOT even try saying that it isn't one, because the FTC clearly says it is one.

And this was proven when they sent out warning letters to the company a few months back for making health and income claims. Said right on there, Multi Level Marketing lol.

#1913345
@PissedConsumer1910732

The, "BACK UP ORDER" is to protect all of the perks obtained for being a customer. That includes the 30% - 50% discounts, the Loyalty Shopping Dollars, the cash back savings when shopping at 1000's of online stores, etc.

Can a person forfeit all of those benefits? Of course, they simply have to agree to it by sending the cancellation form. That way a person can't go back and say, "I want the money back that was sitting in my account to redeem for free products". It only makes sense that Melaleuca would require the relationship officially severed.

So is a person FORCED to shop? Obviously not. That aside, I personally have a COSTCO membership and, "guess what"? They automatically renew my membership which is 5 times the price of Melaleuca's membership.

Also, I regularly shop at COSTCO for items that Melaleuca happens not to carry, but I spend $200 - $300 every month at MELALEUCA because I have SWITCHED stores. I'd rather save money when compared to shopping at COSTCO for things I need. Lastly, the FTC does not have a category to put Melaleuca's business model into. Just because they toss Melaleuca in the MLM category does not mean anything.

Take a look at how the Better Business Bureau defines Melaleuca. They have a category called, "RETAILER" and that's where they've been placed. Take a look at all of the MLM companies and how the BBB has categorized them? They are all categorized as MLM companies.

The FTC does not have a form letter for "RETAILERS". If they did, it is what they would use to communicate with Melaleuca.

#1949809
@Eulala Nvr

#1925572
@PissedConsumer1910732

Not to mention, you can pause your monthly shipment as well so you don’t get an order this month. Did you read the print when you signed up?

Or did you ask that question if your enroller? I knew all of these answers before I even signed up.

I won’t shop anywhere else. Ever!

Love mela

Howdy

An MLM is a company that doesnt allow you to make money unless you recruit. You can make money solely on customers and not recruit a sole and still make money...that's not an MLM.

#1819215

They obviously did a terrible job explaining everything to you

@PissedConsumer1819215

Or these ppl were just not friends of the once who explained...)

They always advertise it on social media as something like Costco or Sam's Club or I notice they never say the name, only use the words shop club. I have an annual membership to Sam's club and I go throughout the year and purchase what I need.

Melaleuca forces you to purchase every month, and if you don't you either get charged and a back up order arrives, or you will be charged and get a credit to use. Costco and Sam's club doesn't require me to purchase every month,I purchase when I want to. Also, I don't have to cancel my membership, I simply do not renew it the next year. Here, you have to mail or fax it to them and I see it's always "we didn't receive it".

I'm assuming that's so they can get another month of auto ship out out of you. As much as they like to argue and say it's not an MLM, it is 100% one. Anytime there's an upline/downline, levels that you rank up etc, it's an MLM lol. Also, any reputable company never requires you to be on auto ship, only MLM's do that.

God bless all the Huns rushing in here to defend their pyramid scheme. And go read the hundreds upon hundreds of complaints on the BBB website. The same issue, people can't seem to cancel. There is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't be able to go into your account and cancel.

That's ridiculous that in 2020 you have to call them, be put on hold forever just to get them to email you a cancellation form for you to print out and them have to mail or fax it to them. They do this on purpose, to make it hard for you to cancel.. Then as most of the complaints on the BBB website show, they never seem to get the cancellation form and keep charging people.

I have many subscriptions, including Netflix, Hulu, Ipsy etc and I can literally just go under my account and hit the cancel button.. Shady companies like this to this kind of nonsense!

@PissedConsumer1806192

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. Firstly, I have a Costco membership and THEY DO AUTOMATICALLY RENEW EVERY YEAR.

Secondly, you DO NOT have to purchase Melaleuca products every month. Thirdly, canceling is simply a matter of completing their cancel form and agreeing that you are willing to forfeit the free dollars they give customers. Obviously you need to agree to that, otherwise a person could go back to them and claim that was their money. Also, cancellations are typically processed within a few hours.

Fourthly, there are millions upon millions of transactions yearly. Did you ever calculate how even a few hundred BBB complaints is less than .001 of a percent of the transactions? I think it's incredible how few complains they have on BBB. Fiftly, I've NEVER heard of anyone having to wait on hold.

If it ever does happen, it is very rare.

So I really don't know where you gathered your information from. If you want to understand more about Melaleuca, this website is quite detailed: https://www.melaleucaexposed.com.

@Kierstan Wjg

Curious, I am seriously thinking of joining and YES I was told that I have to purchase a monthly total of 35 points OR I will get mailed a back up order which is charged to my account, That was told to me today 1/15/2020. I am now re thinking joining.

@PissedConsumer1808290

You do NOT have to purchase monthly, although you likely will anyways if you do switch to the Melaleuca brand for what you are already buying anyways. If you put your account on hold, which you can do at any time, there will NOT be any charge or order shipped to you.

This is a very simple and convenient shopping club designed for those wishing to save money, benefit their health and protect the environment when compared to other stores. All of this is explained at www.melaleucaexposed.com

#1820995
@PissedConsumer1806192

I, Ken Klocke believe you would have to be a complete and utter fool to get involved in Melaleuca, Inc. these days!

Why? well, Melaleuca is a whitewasher... Google/ search Melaleuca whitewashing! Sick!

Also, Google ( 22 Cosmetics Companies File for 'Trade Secret' Status to Skirt Toxins Law. .. And while you're at it- Google Melaleuca, health claims (Ridiculous!!) BTW: I spent sixteen years involved w/ Melaleuca's Web/ Mess a few of them weren't bad, however, In my opinion, Melaleuca is a total fraud these days! "Best advice, have an attorney review the contract.

My goal? CONSUMER PROTECTION!

p.s. Look into Melaleuca/ Alt-right Politics "Mind-Blowing" (Yg)+ KK2020 + All Rights Reserved Saturday, January 25, 2020 Date in Green Valley South, Henderson, NV

@PissedConsumer1806192

It takes a lot more to be an MLM than what you claim. With Melaleuca there are no UPLINES or DOWNLINES.

NONE. AND we are customer direct. Plus all we do is refer customers...there's no sales, no strong arm people to buy every month we are not distributors, we don't carry inventory, we don't take orders and make deliveries, there are no bills or collections, no pressuring customers, and there's no risk. (that's MLM)...and while I'm at it...your life insurance salesman is MLM, and every other company out there started with someone on top and the rest underneath and they're all MLM.

We're the ones that aren't. I have no upline I have no down line....but let me something...my history was lyme disease and death... and NOTHING from Costco, or BJ's or the freaking HOSPITALS or the DOCTOR's did anything to same my life, but OLIGO-FRUCTOSE compounding did and no one else has it except Melaleuca and you can crab and complain and point the finger and accuse....and you'll never hurt any of us. You see, because spending cheap money gives you cheap quality.

If you start shopping wisely and look at your cost per use...WE BEAT YOU hands down. We'll save you money and give you top quality. You can be a customer OR you can earn an income.

YOUR CHOICE. Or you can quit...your choice again.

#1910735
@PissedConsumer1865836

Oh stop, you sound stupid spewing all this nonsense about how a product from a pyramid scheme company saved your life . As a matter of fact Melaleuca was just sent a warning letter from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) a few months back for making health claims, like you just did in your post.

Melaleuca is nothing more than a "product based" pyramid scheme. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's just a matter of time before the FTC catches up to them like they did with Advocare. Look how long they were in business, and the FTC *** them down for being a straight up pyramid scheme, and hey had tons of products as well.

#1913355
@PissedConsumer1910735

Advocare was indeed a typical MLM type company selling super overpriced products. You say they had tons of products.

Where are you getting that information from? They don't have many products at all! In any case, you also make a statement that the person you are responding to is making health claims. How are you getting THAT out of what they stated?

They did not say anybody with Lyme Disease will be healed using Melaleuca products. They simply stated what their personal experience was and there is nothing wrong with that.

#1915730
@PissedConsumer1910735

She didn't make any health claims but just posted her personal experience.

Melaleuca Reviews