Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
21.4K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

@DTJ

Sams or Cosmo is the same

@Anonymous

No sams of cosmo's isn't the same.

I used to have a Melaleuca membership and here is my reply.1.) The products are fantastic for health conscious people2.) The Company is good to deal with when you want to end your membership.3.) The 35 points is a lot of product for two people.

@K. Smith

My husband and I shop with Melaleuca and have been customers for 5 years. We use many of their bath & body products, as well as non-toxic cleaners, supplements (which are incredible) and some food/health products.

We have figured out that we may not be shopping every month for exactly the same thing as the prior month, but we definitely shop for vitamins every month. Those vitamins have successfully addressed our serious health issues (brain injury and autoimmune disorders) and we won’t ever buy anything else. My husband is a record keeping brainiac and made spread sheets to track our spending... the difference in the price point, concentrated products and quality has saved us $$.

We are now brand loyal to Melaleuca. Also, the added perks to members like loyalty shopping dollars, savings on a home security system and on products and travel expenses through the Marketplace has been invaluable to us. We easily purchase 80-120 product points per month. In addition, I receive a check EVERY month as a commission on product purchases by the several friends I have referred to shop with Melaleuca.

It more than pays for my shipping and offsets the cost of my already discounted products. For me, it’s a win-win.

@K. Smith

The 35 points is a lot of product for two people? If you're health conscious, the 35 pts is a snap for 1 person or two...and its not a lot of product either.

Its exactly a month's supply. Everything else you purchase as you run out of it at home. You simply replace what you've been using with our brand instead. You MAY find that they perform better and last longer, thus saving you money and you get to try other product.

Have you tried the tooth polish yet? If you have anything like gingivitis or any other gum disease, you won't have it anymore. How about any of the skin lotions? Renew comes to mind, we use it daily in our house.

What's your brand of morning coffee? Have you tried ours?

35 points? what's that!!

@K. Smith

When you consider everything , 35 pts isn't hard for two people. Have you tried the coffee?

The teas? The breakfast cereals? The snacks? The dish soap?

The Laundry detergents? How about the tooth polish? Vitamins? Energy bars and drinks?

Do you drink gator-ade or power ade? Then try Sustain, it does everything the other two do and is less calories and absolutely delicious. Have you used your bonus shopping dollars to pay for you products every month?

See? there's a lot you haven't tried, don't use, won't use, won't try, and you probably didn't know about the bonus shopping dollars, learn to earn videos, and the 7% check either.

@K. Smith

K.Smith, depends on what you're buying. We're a family of 2 and I easily spend a minimum of $100.00 a month and I get one product and its for me alone.

It keeps me alive and the lyme disease in remission (and is worth every penny spent). Then we ad in the laundry detergent which is bought twice a year and all the other products and services we use...there is so much to look at and try. How about the shopping services? There is so much to this company that you can literally stay home and not go anywhere (except for food) and outfit your entire house through them.

Have you checked out the Marketplace yet? You can go online through Melaleuca Market place and shop at Sears, Walmart, and 360 more stores, and if you use the Melaleuca credit card, 15% of your expenditures goes into your bonus shopping pool allowing you to purchase your monthly 35 points for just shipping and handling!

That's a deal to me. There are so many ways to save money...its unbelievable.

I notice that Anonymous AtBest comments on everyone's reviews. First of all *** I can actually relate to this review.

As Melaleuca is in fact just a waste of money and some of the products are useless. Anonymous whatever the heck your name is. Your a keyboard warrior! If some customers cancelled membership, so what .

We can do whatever we want with our money and everyone's experience with Melaleuca will be different!!

I do love the skincare but it's expensive. That's just my opinion.

@Lorraine

The skincare is okay in my opinion. It is way overpriced and is not organic.

I found organic skincare in the form of coconut oil for way cheaper and it works better. The main problem I am currently having with melaleuca is my enroller. My husbamd and I cannot afford the products, as we switched to all organic. We canceled our account.

My enroller said it is non negotiable and we have to sign back up. She's not giving us the choice. We are in an argument over this with her and trying to avoid the melaleuca subject like the plague.

The people who work the business will drive you insane and make it near impossible to leave, even after you cancel your account. They are way too obsessed and it is cult like.

@Anonymous

Anonymous, your enroller has nothing to do with whether you cancel or not. You're clobbering the company.

The company doesn't tell its people to go out and force people to join. They go out with the intention of letting people know Melaleuca is out there and it an alternative to today's shopping needs. Better, safer products delivered to your door that are non-toxic, no childproof caps are needed, and healthier too. Plus you get $100.00 a free products, learn to earn videos where you get paid to watch 4 minute video's, then there's the 15% bonus shopping dollars account where 15% of your monthly order goes into your account that you can use each month buying your monthly order way cheaper.

If you applied for the Melaleuca credit card, that can be used anywhere in the USA and Canada or wherever you go, and 15% of all purchases goes into your bonus shopping pool enabeling you to buy your monthly order FREE except for shipping and handling....and then there's the 7% bonus that pays you monthly and pays for you shipping and handling. You enroller has nothing to do with your membership. You want to cancel, cancel.

The company cancels it not your enroller. BTW who is your enroller and what is their contact info?

@Anonymous

This makes no sense. Your enroller has nothing to do with you cancelling.

You mentioned you and your husband can't afford products but your switched to organic????? Red Flag Post.

These people are HILARIOUS. They say they are part of Melaleuca and are a wonderful company and they respect the company, yet they cant even respect a person who PERSONALLY chose NOT to join.

JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, there will be people who will like it and those who wont. People who will join a company as an example, and those who wont. But you salty motherf---ers are STILL PUSHING on how its SO GOOD to be a member. Just stop it.

Stop pushing it. People have said no and THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, besides your lunatic adverses coming onto people. We get that Melaleuca can be good if you believe it to be so, but it AINT FOR EVERYONE.Coming from a family who loves Melaleuca, has bought Melaleuca, and STILL KNOWS that people have their own rights and knows it is STUPID to just shove things down others throats.

Please have respect to others, as a person. Not some drilled in Melaleuca head psycho.Thank you :)

@AnonymousAtBest

Not pushing it, but not letting people who slam the company get away with it, because they're not happy with the enroller. The enroller is a business person who knows that he/she gets paid for putting product in people's homes, so they try anything to get the job done.

Most of them are honest however like everything else, there are those that go out of their way to be a PIA and then you get someone like you, who knocks every thing and everyone associated with the company. If you don't want your life changed....don't join.

your choice. Keep your money, better yet, vote democrat and give it to them when they go up on your taxes so they can live well while you grovel in poorness.

I WAS a member of Melaleuca for a little over a year, and I loved each product I ordered. I used their "gold bar" soap, laundry detergent, Attain powder, and bars, and just about every cleaning product.

The only problem I had was after canceling, I had enough products to last me another two years! I still have cleaning products.

The only problem now is, do I toss out the unopened packages of Attain powder, and bars? They have absolutely no expiration date on them?

I know two people in my area that are rep's, and when I ask them, they either don't get back to me, or they don't know.

@Tiffanie

Attain will be fine. Soap doesn’t go bad

@Tiffanie

I have honestly never heard of these products,good or bad, until I stumbled across these reviews today. I'm definitely going to do more research, so far seems to be pretty equal when it comes to love or hate, it is a thin line between the two.

My question is, and it's genuine, I hope I don't sound like a smart butt. Anyway, I'm just curious if you like the product and use them for over a year why did you stop using them and then not continue to use the products you still had? Especially natural cleaning products I love to clean with vinegar personally and my young Sons can clean also and I don't have to worry about them being around a toxic chemical. I'm also a fan of organic thieves oil for cleaning and many other things.

From what I've read I could understand if it got expensive so you decided to stop but then I'm just not understanding why you didn't continue to use the product you already had? I get it there wasn't an expiration date but hey it's a cleaning product what's the big deal?

Of all the reviews glamorizing or destroying this product your review caught my eye. It made me curious.

@TAYSHA Patterson

Tasha, if you're going to research the company look up the Freiberg Study and the Sterling Report. As far as the cleaners are concerned they are all organic and natural, no child proof caps needed as nothing is poisonous.

Great products, full strength, (need to be diluted)...cost effective. Good luck.

They (supplements) saved my life and brought me back from death's door. Love them for that.

@Tiffanie

I tossed my products. We just had too many and with a baby on the way no space so we decided to just toss them.

@Anonymous

With a baby on the way you should've kept them. Perfectly safe to use around baby, especially the solugard, safer than bleach and kills more germs than lisol....and perfectly safe around baby, pets, food and so forth.

@Tiffanie

If you had that much products; you were either not cleaning your house, or keeping your personal hygiene up. And definitely not using the products as intended.

Melaleuca Reviews