Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
21.4K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

@Anonymous

Not true. The enroller has no authority over whether you stay or quit.

NONE. They also cannot pay for you to stay so they can keep their so called status...that's an AMWAY issue...as people in Melaleuca are NOT IN AN MLM company. You DO KNOW the difference don't you? Melaleuca is customer direct marketing, while Amway and all the rest out there aren't....and you have to go through your SPONSOR each time which is why they know what you're doing and have something to say about it.

Customer direct marketing is simply shopping at the company, like opening up a shopping account at any major store and shopping on line.

There's no middle man. Sorry for what you're going through BUT you're describing an MLM company but not ours.

@rltorlai

good to know, you explained this very well.

@Anonymous

Hmmm, you can call the company and rectify this. Folks that have a lot of products are folks that don't take the time to order.

Over 500 products in different areas; from household cleaning, nutrition, makeup, Hygiene, and more. Come on....

Eulala

I feel compelled to comment on each point you raise. 1) A reason the company name is not mentioned is due to people like you COMPLETELY misrepresenting the details about the subject.

If I personally did research about the company and read your review, I would NOT go anywhere near the company. How said considering your influence would cause a person to miss out on the "life-changing" products. 2) The business is completely optional. In fact, 88% of all shoppers are not interested in the business whatsoever.

So people can obviously just shop for the high quality products that are even less costly than what you are currently buying from local stores anyways. Do you need a membership to shop? Yes. Do you need a membership to shop at Costco?

Yes. I also have a Costco membership because I see value in having one due to the fact that there are some products Costco offers that are not yet available at the Melaleuca store. With Costco's membership, I save more money than the cost and thus why I choose to have a Costco membership. Same goes for Melaleuca.

3) There is absolutely no "requirement" to shop for 35 points of product per month. In fact, you can go 6 months without buying a single thing before the membership completely shuts down. The 35 point figure is simply the threshold of when the 30% - 50% discounts kick in. If a person does not need to shop in a given month, Melaleuca simply has to be informed.

When they are informed, the account stays in that inactive state until the account is reactivated, which is 100% free. 4) The "backup order" is a protection of all the perks customers receive. For example, every time a person shops, they are handed over free money to spend on products. Imagine having hundreds of dollars accumulated.

Those monies are handed over as a reward for loyalty and agreeing to shop for the 35 or more points worth of product. As mentioned already, Melaleuca can be informed about not wanting to shop and thus eliminating the backup order from applying. Clearly this is a VERY simple, convenient and flexible shopping club. 5) Difficult to cancel?

100% not true. Because of the convenience of being able to put the account on hold at any time, and thus have no backup order, I've seen accounts cancelled with 15 minutes of a request going through. The longest I've ever found is perhaps a few hours. The only exception is when the request by the customer is not done properly.

Very clear instructions about how to cancel are found from the website. Customers can even watch a video with step by step instructions on how to do so. In conclusion, it is quite sad that you post comments that are so full of holes and misleading.

Hopefully my explanation will allow the facts and truth to come through. An EXCELLENT explanation of everything can be found here: www.melaleucaexposed.com.

@Eulala

You have no idea what you’re talking about, Clearvu. There IS a 35 point requirement which equals no less than $75 with shipping EVERY MONTH!!!

@Scammed

I just received my back up shipment. And was mad.

Next month I will put account on hold. Found out after the fact.

So you are wrong . Sorry

@Madi

The 35 point "requirement" is IF you want to be a preferred customer and receive all the BENEFITS that go with it. If you don't, then you become a direct customer and you can purchase anything at any time, with no time restriction and no 35 point minimum but also NO monthly benefits.

SO YOU are wrong too.

I 'm glad you received your back up , now then go on your webpage and spend the bonus shopping dollars that you have accrued!! Then if you want to quit, go ahead.

Eulala
@Scammed

You DO NOT have to shop every month. People do it all the time.

You can shop as many consecutive months as you want and not shop for up to 6 months. If you don't shop for 6 consecutive months, the account shuts completely down. This makes sense if you think about it because how can a person go 6 months without buying day to day type essentials. If a person does not bathe, do laundry, brush their teeth, clean the house, eat, drink, etc., they must have died or went away on vacation for an extended period of time.

In any case, the reference to 35 points is the threshold to meet in order to obtain the discounts of 30% - 50% off the regular prices. You can even shop for less than 35 points if you don't mind paying full price. The only thing to remember is that you need to remove the account from the Preferred Member status in order to shop for less than 35 points.

This is such a simple shopping club. It amazes me how people make it so complicated.

@Scammed

35 points equals about $55.00 a month cost plus shipping. Shipping charges depend on your location.

Now then there is a new warehouse in Tennessee to manage the Mid states and the East coast. West coast people have the Idaho manufacturing facility to deal with. Shipping charges for me is about $7.00 but I pay taxes too so it rolls out at $68-70.00 monthly. Not bad for the product and services I receive and I've been with them for 10 years.

Sometimes I even purchase up to and including $150.00 a month and there are two of us. Those bonus shopping dollars come in real handy when I have big orders like that...I can tell you.

Hmmmm, I have placed orders for less than $75

@Eulala

Very good Post. As a member Melaleuca it is amazing of how many lies you see. Great post!

Dear Red Flags,Some people identify the company and some don't. Their preference.

We are trained to do what works for us. We are the messenger, so don't shoot us. There is no emphasis on starting your own business either. You can be a consumer (75%) of the customers are, they love the products and shop with the company every month rather than shop elsewhere.

They get top quality and their cost per use is minimal , saving them money. 35 points is 50.00 a month. People spend that much on Dunkin donuts weekly. If you're health conscious like most people, 35 points isn't an issue.

If the rep. followed the presentation booklet, there is NO WAY he/she could've skipped the back up order. NO WAY. Cancellation is a breeze providing you follow the rules.

Also, there is no upline and no downline and if you perceived that, then perhaps you weren't listening very well. I've been with the company for 10 years. My back order has shipped 3 times, and each time I was glad, because I forgot. We LUV the products and I'm into the health dept....my bride loves the household products.

We are lifers with the company.

Take another look sometime, with another rep. You might see something you didn't see before.

@Rltorlai

I've never had 35 points be less than $80 after taxes and S&H. It is not $50. It is definitely $80

@Anonymous

35 points equates to $53.00 in product. S&H depends on where its going (as with anyone else), and they use air in the box so you're getting the cheapest rates possible.

My orders ship to MASSACHUSETTS. A 35 pt order is $58.21 product, S&H $7.72, Taxes $3.64 , total $ 69.57.

Now I don't know where you live but shipping and handling depends largely on destination. Where are you?

@rltorlai

I have 5 items in my cart. 36 points, the total before my $8.81 shipping is $58.47. It is possible

Not true, I had 3 shipments that ranged from $55-70

@Karen g

Canadian dollars is approximately 80 per month.... US is 50-65 based on of course the exchange rate difference in our national dollar values which is why they work on a point system and not a dollar system they are international!!!

Canadians also see higher loyalty dollar rewards because of the same reason! So yes our orders cost us more but the company recognizes this and gives us more to shop with as well!!!

There is no contract with Melaleuca to sign. The products are amazing and because of publicity like your post we don't tell people right off the bat who the company is as its posts like this that deter people from wanting to hear anymore when the name is mentioned.I have only been with Melaleuca for a month and I can tell you everything they boast about is the truth.Have a nice day Hater!

@Bosco2012

I've had people read all the negative *** out there, and then they read the positive remarks, and tried the products and they're still with the company after 10 years. I guess the products prove themselves worthy and the nay sayers, just like to flap their lips and hope they can ruin someone else's health.

What you have to ask yourself is, how many times do I shop at Walmart or my normal store? Most go at least 4 or 5 times a month.

How much do you spend on your necessities each and every month? Most families spend over $200 a month. Even a couple only will spend $100 or more. Then, figure in your gas and wear and tear on your vehicle driving back and forth to the store.

Also, add in the time it takes to drive there, walk around for a few minutes to an hour, then drive back home. It’s actually very simple to figure out, Melaleuca has way more pros than cons.Those that say, I’m stockpiling products, or I won’t need to order this month. How many products are you stockpiling from Walmart?

Have you ever not went to Walmart or another store for an entire month? Answer......no.

Melaleuca Reviews