33.2K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

#1949745

very informative. People need to be aware of what they are buying into.

This is obviously not for everybody. I am not a "member" but am thankful for the insights presented in this review.

#1949807
@PissedConsumer1949745

If you are NOT a member, then you really don't have a foot to stand on. Almost 3 million people and over 98% shop at Melaleuca monthly.

They are either absolutely crazy to continue to do so when they can easily quit any time, or there is true value at the store. The obvious answer is that people can't afford to shop anywhere else.

#1945227

It sounds like a bad representative of Melaleuca. The person that did the presenting at our dinner was VERY crystal clear of every option we could take, the back order of products that would be sent if we didn't choose to purchase something different of if we forgot (that was fine to us), and she was very helpful to everyone no matter if they wanted to be a customer or start a business with melaleuca.

#1945236
@PissedConsumer1945227

Same with me.

#1943305

#1915842

When I was introduced to Meleleuca I was asked if I wanted to join and at what level. I chose the preferred customer level.

I don't have to do any selling or recruiting. Everything was well explained including the back up order. Another person wasn't sure she would use enough so she didn't sign up. She was not pressured and was treated with respect.

The person who enrolled me has a full time job so this is just extra income. She isn't pushy at all.

#1943327
@Tamyah

I was not pressured either. Most people just want to shop, and that totally OK.

tried to help a friend earn these so called points for DIRECTORSHIP only to find out very expensive and a recurring order that i do not want to happen and to jump through hoops to cancel the preferred membership.. company has some very shady pricing that you cannot see until you sign up or their preferred status.

ive not gotten my order that i did place to help my friend but i do have a feeling that ill not be ordering anything else as im not against using what ive been using for years.!! Buyers Beware.

@Khary

Fully agreed with u! I encountered as well on the auto payment for products replenishment not been told earlier on before signing up.

You can buy “a product or two” if you sign up as a regular customer and NO obligations of EVERY MONTH purchases. It will cost just 30-50% more than for preferred customer but probably the same as on eBay or Amazon, where ppl trying to make money on the product they don’t supposed to (re)SELL.

Also, company has a policy on using its name on social media and electronic communications. This is why your friends did not use it in their invitation. Hope this helps. “Melaleuca is a company built on genuine personal relationships.

Your long-term success as a Marketing Executive is maximized—and our mission of enhancing lives is well served—when you use your electronic communications to develop true friends, many of whom will naturally become interested in Melaleuca as they get to know you. On the other hand, intrusive communications to a cold market (such as promotions of a business opportunity to a social media group organized for other purposes) have the opposite effect: the person making such communications is often shunned, the reputation of the company is harmed, and the group members become less willing to listen to others who may try to reintroduce the products or the opportunity in the future.”

Im a Melaleuca member for 3 years now. I don’t know where you guys gathered your informations.

1st of all melaleuca and Costco are the same with yearly membership. Meleleuca for only $19 a year while Costco is now $60 the lowest membership. 2ndly that $19 membership will allows you purchased all the household stuffs you already buying month after month from any grocery stores. All you have to do is changing a store.

3rd you are getting health and wellness products in here meaning zero chemicals in all our products, on top of that it is concentrated more content than a leading brand. Health and Wellness products but still cheaper price than of all in a leading brands. Example Laundry detergent 96 loads it’s only $17.95 while leading brand 96 loads that is 3 of 2L from all laundry detergent products sold in grocery store. 4th members who signed up to shop every month worth 35 points getting a membership discount of 30 to 50% for life.

On top of that you will accumulates shopping dollars money. 5th all company has this what we called referrals benefits thats how the business side of it kicks in. If you want to do the business side that is the time you ate required to shop worth 35 points for the company assurance that you will stay with company even you already making 6 figures.

More and more benefits in my company. What is being mentioned above is not wvem half.

Hahaha typical mlm hun.

@PissedConsumer1849623

You are dead on. It is just a matter of time before people will realize that they can't afford NOT to shop at Melaleuca.

People rag about the membership fee and yet there are tons of companies that do that, Costco being just one of them. Additionally, a person does NOT HAVE to shop every month either although most do because they are simply switching stores for things they were buying before ever becoming a Melaleuca shopper.

#1910732
@PissedConsumer1850475

You absolutely have to shop every month, hence the FORCED back up order. You people act like this is like Costco and it's not!

I buy a membership there and I go and buy when I want, they don't force me to purchase $80 dollars worth of stuff monthly.. Furthermore, Costco doesn't make me fax or mail them a cancellation form either. I buy a membership for a year and when the years up, it's up. Melaleuca is just another predatory MLM company.

And DO NOT even try saying that it isn't one, because the FTC clearly says it is one.

And this was proven when they sent out warning letters to the company a few months back for making health and income claims. Said right on there, Multi Level Marketing lol.

#1913345
@PissedConsumer1910732

The, "BACK UP ORDER" is to protect all of the perks obtained for being a customer. That includes the 30% - 50% discounts, the Loyalty Shopping Dollars, the cash back savings when shopping at 1000's of online stores, etc.

Can a person forfeit all of those benefits? Of course, they simply have to agree to it by sending the cancellation form. That way a person can't go back and say, "I want the money back that was sitting in my account to redeem for free products". It only makes sense that Melaleuca would require the relationship officially severed.

So is a person FORCED to shop? Obviously not. That aside, I personally have a COSTCO membership and, "guess what"? They automatically renew my membership which is 5 times the price of Melaleuca's membership.

Also, I regularly shop at COSTCO for items that Melaleuca happens not to carry, but I spend $200 - $300 every month at MELALEUCA because I have SWITCHED stores. I'd rather save money when compared to shopping at COSTCO for things I need. Lastly, the FTC does not have a category to put Melaleuca's business model into. Just because they toss Melaleuca in the MLM category does not mean anything.

Take a look at how the Better Business Bureau defines Melaleuca. They have a category called, "RETAILER" and that's where they've been placed. Take a look at all of the MLM companies and how the BBB has categorized them? They are all categorized as MLM companies.

The FTC does not have a form letter for "RETAILERS". If they did, it is what they would use to communicate with Melaleuca.

#1949809
@Eulala

#1925572
@PissedConsumer1910732

Not to mention, you can pause your monthly shipment as well so you don’t get an order this month. Did you read the print when you signed up?

Or did you ask that question if your enroller? I knew all of these answers before I even signed up.

I won’t shop anywhere else. Ever!

Love mela

Howdy

An MLM is a company that doesnt allow you to make money unless you recruit. You can make money solely on customers and not recruit a sole and still make money...that's not an MLM.

Melaleuca Reviews