34.8K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

@PissedConsumer2057029

Totally agree!

@PissedConsumer2057029

Been shopping here myself for almost 10 years! I will NEVER shop anywhere else if Melaleuca offers their version.

Melaleuca's is better and cost less.

DUH. It is a no-brainer shopping decision.

#1975912

good

#1981387
@PissedConsumer1975912

Totally agree!!!

#1975848

Thanks for the information. Very helpful!

#1975907
@PissedConsumer1975848

I've been shopping at Melaleuca of 8 years and can say from experience that all 5 points raised by the original post is not acurate. 1) the information is not "hidden".

2) a person can choose to be part of the referral business or not. In other words, they can be a shopper only, which 80% are, do the business only, or both. 3) the 35 point order requirement is NOT a monthly requirement. A person can shop as few as 2 times per year if they so choose to do that.

They just have to indicate that to Melaleuca. 4) the "backup order" is clearly part of the application process and only applies for those who request. 5) cancelling a membership takes minutes and is usually processed within minutes of the request as well. It is very sad when misinformed people post inacurate information.

People can't afford to shop anywhere but at Melaleuca. When people discover and learn how the shopping club works, they stay, whether or not they are part of the business.

#1979723
@Eulala Nvr

Your information is only partly accurate as well. You do have to meet a certain minimum point requirement monthly.

If that is not met, they do automatically ship your back up order. That’s not something in my experience that has been requested, but mandatory. You do get to pick what is in the back of order however. People saying that you only need to inform Melaleuca that you’re not going purchase for the month and they’re cool with it , well that’s is kind of a hassle.

Because if you inform them of that, they actually do a kind of suspension To your account for whatever month etc. That means the next time you want to purchase, you have to deal with them again. When and if you decide that you can no longer afford their products or wish to no longer be a member for whatever reason, it’s not very difficult to get out.

After speaking to a representative, you will then have to requests in writing to be removed. Kind of a chore, but Usually happens very quickly.

#1979743
@PissedConsumer1979723

Informing Melaleuca that one does NOT wish to shop in a given month is not really a hassle. The reason why this is done is because the shopper has to agree to the fact that they are forfeiting their Preferred Customer status, which includes any monies that may be sitting in the account, monies coming back from shopping at any of the 2,000 online partner stores, etc.

The process avoids the customer being able to go back and say they want that money. I always suggest spending any money sitting in the account first before putting the account on hold.

As for reinstating the account, all that is required is login in and saying "YES" to wanting to shop again as a preferred customer. Takes 1 second to do.

#1975840

Wow, they are good at selling the membership without telling you about the fact that every month you will have to spend over 100$ each month. NOT COOL

#1975906
@PissedConsumer1975840

People do NOT have to purchase $100 of product each month. Just because over 96% do so, doesn't mean it is a requirement.

The over 96% do so because they would have spent the money elsewhere anyways and they come to realise that they can save money and get better and safer products at Melaleuca. Melaleuca does NOT force people to shop monthly. A person can shop as few or as many times per year as they wish. If for some extremely odd reason they don't need to shop in a given month, they only need to advise Melaleuca that they don't plan to shop.

Not shopping means not shopping. It means NOTHING is shipped. There is no autoship.

People get this so messed up and there are so much misinformation about this. I've been shopping at Melaleuca of 8 years now and would NEVER shop anywhere else if Melaleuca has a version of the product I need.

#1949745

very informative. People need to be aware of what they are buying into.

This is obviously not for everybody. I am not a "member" but am thankful for the insights presented in this review.

#1949807
@PissedConsumer1949745

If you are NOT a member, then you really don't have a foot to stand on. Almost 3 million people and over 98% shop at Melaleuca monthly.

They are either absolutely crazy to continue to do so when they can easily quit any time, or there is true value at the store. The obvious answer is that people can't afford to shop anywhere else.

#1945227

It sounds like a bad representative of Melaleuca. The person that did the presenting at our dinner was VERY crystal clear of every option we could take, the back order of products that would be sent if we didn't choose to purchase something different of if we forgot (that was fine to us), and she was very helpful to everyone no matter if they wanted to be a customer or start a business with melaleuca.

#1945236
@PissedConsumer1945227

Same with me.

#1943305

#1915842

When I was introduced to Meleleuca I was asked if I wanted to join and at what level. I chose the preferred customer level.

I don't have to do any selling or recruiting. Everything was well explained including the back up order. Another person wasn't sure she would use enough so she didn't sign up. She was not pressured and was treated with respect.

The person who enrolled me has a full time job so this is just extra income. She isn't pushy at all.

#1943327
@Laura K Csf

I was not pressured either. Most people just want to shop, and that totally OK.

tried to help a friend earn these so called points for DIRECTORSHIP only to find out very expensive and a recurring order that i do not want to happen and to jump through hoops to cancel the preferred membership.. company has some very shady pricing that you cannot see until you sign up or their preferred status.

ive not gotten my order that i did place to help my friend but i do have a feeling that ill not be ordering anything else as im not against using what ive been using for years.!! Buyers Beware.

@Khary Uoq

Fully agreed with u! I encountered as well on the auto payment for products replenishment not been told earlier on before signing up.

You can buy “a product or two” if you sign up as a regular customer and NO obligations of EVERY MONTH purchases. It will cost just 30-50% more than for preferred customer but probably the same as on eBay or Amazon, where ppl trying to make money on the product they don’t supposed to (re)SELL.

Also, company has a policy on using its name on social media and electronic communications. This is why your friends did not use it in their invitation. Hope this helps. “Melaleuca is a company built on genuine personal relationships.

Your long-term success as a Marketing Executive is maximized—and our mission of enhancing lives is well served—when you use your electronic communications to develop true friends, many of whom will naturally become interested in Melaleuca as they get to know you. On the other hand, intrusive communications to a cold market (such as promotions of a business opportunity to a social media group organized for other purposes) have the opposite effect: the person making such communications is often shunned, the reputation of the company is harmed, and the group members become less willing to listen to others who may try to reintroduce the products or the opportunity in the future.”

Melaleuca Reviews