14.5K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

Dear Red Flags,Some people identify the company and some don't. Their preference.

We are trained to do what works for us. We are the messenger, so don't shoot us. There is no emphasis on starting your own business either. You can be a consumer (75%) of the customers are, they love the products and shop with the company every month rather than shop elsewhere.

They get top quality and their cost per use is minimal , saving them money. 35 points is 50.00 a month. People spend that much on Dunkin donuts weekly. If you're health conscious like most people, 35 points isn't an issue.

If the rep. followed the presentation booklet, there is NO WAY he/she could've skipped the back up order. NO WAY. Cancellation is a breeze providing you follow the rules.

Also, there is no upline and no downline and if you perceived that, then perhaps you weren't listening very well. I've been with the company for 10 years. My back order has shipped 3 times, and each time I was glad, because I forgot. We LUV the products and I'm into the health dept....my bride loves the household products.

We are lifers with the company.

Take another look sometime, with another rep. You might see something you didn't see before.

to Rltorlai #1510948

I've never had 35 points be less than $80 after taxes and S&H. It is not $50. It is definitely $80

My husband and I shop with Melaleuca and have been customers for 5 years. We use many of their bath & body products, as well as non-toxic cleaners, supplements (which are incredible) and some food/health products.

We have figured out that we may not be shopping every month for exactly the same thing as the prior month, but we definitely shop for vitamins every month. Those vitamins have successfully addressed our serious health issues (brain injury and autoimmune disorders) and we won’t ever buy anything else. My husband is a record keeping brainiac and made spread sheets to track our spending... the difference in the price point, concentrated products and quality has saved us $$.

We are now brand loyal to Melaleuca. Also, the added perks to members like loyalty shopping dollars, savings on a home security system and on products and travel expenses through the Marketplace has been invaluable to us. We easily purchase 80-120 product points per month. In addition, I receive a check EVERY month as a commission on product purchases by the several friends I have referred to shop with Melaleuca.

It more than pays for my shipping and offsets the cost of my already discounted products. For me, it’s a win-win.

There is no contract with Melaleuca to sign. The products are amazing and because of publicity like your post we don't tell people right off the bat who the company is as its posts like this that deter people from wanting to hear anymore when the name is mentioned.I have only been with Melaleuca for a month and I can tell you everything they boast about is the truth.Have a nice day Hater!

What you have to ask yourself is, how many times do I shop at Walmart or my normal store? Most go at least 4 or 5 times a month.

How much do you spend on your necessities each and every month? Most families spend over $200 a month. Even a couple only will spend $100 or more. Then, figure in your gas and wear and tear on your vehicle driving back and forth to the store.

Also, add in the time it takes to drive there, walk around for a few minutes to an hour, then drive back home. It’s actually very simple to figure out, Melaleuca has way more pros than cons.Those that say, I’m stockpiling products, or I won’t need to order this month. How many products are you stockpiling from Walmart?

Have you ever not went to Walmart or another store for an entire month? Answer......no.

to DTJ #1504778

Sams or Cosmo is the same

I used to have a Melaleuca membership and here is my reply.1.) The products are fantastic for health conscious people2.) The Company is good to deal with when you want to end your membership.3.) The 35 points is a lot of product for two people.

to K. Smith #1486414

I notice that Anonymous AtBest comments on everyone's reviews. First of all twat!

I can actually relate to this review. As Melaleuca is in fact just a waste of money and some of the products are useless. Anonymous whatever the heck your name is. Your a keyboard warrior!

If some customers cancelled membership, so what . We can do whatever we want with our money and everyone's experience with Melaleuca will be different!!

I do love the skincare but it's expensive. That's just my opinion.

These people are HILARIOUS. They say they are part of Melaleuca and are a wonderful company and they respect the company, yet they cant even respect a person who PERSONALLY chose NOT to join.

JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, there will be people who will like it and those who wont. People who will join a company as an example, and those who wont. But you salty motherf---ers are STILL PUSHING on how its SO GOOD to be a member. Just stop it.

Stop pushing it. People have said no and THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, besides your lunatic adverses coming onto people. We get that Melaleuca can be good if you believe it to be so, but it AINT FOR EVERYONE.Coming from a family who loves Melaleuca, has bought Melaleuca, and STILL KNOWS that people have their own rights and knows it is STUPID to just shove things down others throats.

Please have respect to others, as a person. Not some drilled in Melaleuca head psycho.Thank you :)

I WAS a member of Melaleuca for a little over a year, and I loved each product I ordered. I used their "gold bar" soap, laundry detergent, Attain powder, and bars, and just about every cleaning product.

The only problem I had was after canceling, I had enough products to last me another two years! I still have cleaning products.

The only problem now is, do I toss out the unopened packages of Attain powder, and bars? They have absolutely no expiration date on them?

I know two people in my area that are rep's, and when I ask them, they either don't get back to me, or they don't know.

to Tiffanie #1425562

Attain will be fine. Soap doesn’t go bad

to Tiffanie #1484100

I have honestly never heard of these products,good or bad, until I stumbled across these reviews today. I'm definitely going to do more research, so far seems to be pretty equal when it comes to love or hate, it is a thin line between the two.

My question is, and it's genuine, I hope I don't sound like a smart butt. Anyway, I'm just curious if you like the product and use them for over a year why did you stop using them and then not continue to use the products you still had? Especially natural cleaning products I love to clean with vinegar personally and my young Sons can clean also and I don't have to worry about them being around a toxic chemical. I'm also a fan of organic thieves oil for cleaning and many other things.

From what I've read I could understand if it got expensive so you decided to stop but then I'm just not understanding why you didn't continue to use the product you already had? I get it there wasn't an expiration date but hey it's a cleaning product what's the big deal?

Of all the reviews glamorizing or destroying this product your review caught my eye. It made me curious.

Thank you so much for this review. I was not familiar with Melaleuca and some friends invited me lunch on the premise of sharing military experience, however, the husband wore his Melaleuca shirt.

So, they weaved it into the conversation, and tried to "sell it" like all I had to do was order 35 points worth of vitamins and there was no other obligation. Also, they HAVE to have me over to their house for more information by the end of the month. This review helps.

They did make it clear that there is no signing new people, no uplines/downlines, but I'm not sure about the whole thing. I want to make sure I have a CHOICE and am able to walk away without purchasing, if I chose.

to JN #1414266

Friends don’t push pyramid schemes on friends. This company is scary.

rltorlai
West Boylston, Massachusetts, United States #1350657

One last comment to this person, There is NO emphasis on signing new people, there are no UPLINE/DOWNLINE (that's AMWAY) you can join as a preferred customer and shop with us monthly or you can build a business and make some profit. It isn't sold as a business ONLY outfit and again if you understood that in the presentation, you didn't listen very well.

The company isn't MLM...and if you think that enrolling others is MLM then you should take a look at your life insurance salesman and tell them they are also MLM!

Any sales job requires putting in hours. You can be as successful as you want. If you handle this as a business and commit to it you will make money. If you treat it as a hobby, you won't.

There is no upline, no downline, and everyone gets in at the same place. Where you go from there is up to you.

Don't badmouth a company because you didn't get rich because you didn't follow their format, you didn't take in the trainings, you didn't go to the Super Saturday trainings, you didn't attend the January blastoff meetings, you didn't go to the regional conferences, you didn't watch the learn to earn videos, you didn't attend the monthly dinners, you didn't make any phone calls, you didn't listen to the first of the month incentive calls, you didn't get involved with nightly trainings going on with your groups, you didn't TAKE IT SERIOUSLY AT ALL. It isn't the company that failed you, it is YOU that failed you and then blamed the company.

to rltorlai #1397922

I have been in a way before for several years and melaleuca is basically similar the only thing is Amway has better customer service and let's you choose if you want a backup order or not. Anyway is worth the extra money I have products at home I am about to through the melaleuca products out because of the horrible customer service!

to Anonymous #1398053

First of all the invitation is educational, in case you don't know about us here we are. This is a yes or no invitation.

There is no arm twisting or anything else. Some of the people out there get overly excited and need to try anything to get a consumer to sit down and listen. Oh well. We don't identify ourselves, we're trained not to.

Simple really when all we're trying to do is get you to listen to what we have. No one has to start a business. Read that again. NO ONE HAS TO START A BUSINESS.

You can be a consumer. What the heck, if they did the presentation correctly, you will A) SAVE MONEY, B) MAKE MONEY (for being a consumer). C) you will be buying quality products for less money than where you're buying them now. They'll last longer than your current product making them cost effective.

The requirement of 35 points. Well let me see that's 50.00 a month. Big money I guess. There are people out there that spent 25.00 a week at Dunkin donuts....gotta have that chocolate caramel cappuccino at $ 3.00 a pop but you drink 7 of those per week.

Its what's Important to you. If you notice, the 35 point order makes the whole thing work. with over 360 products available to you, you can't find 35 points? We're a family of two (2) and our product points are over 75 each month.

Once you've tried the coffee you'll love it. BETTER than Dunkin DO-D0. If you are into health, you'll want to be on OUR product line over anyone else's, at least with us you'll get a GUARENTEED ROA with our products instead of the (It's all natural) line meaning what? Dirt is all natural too, will you readily absorb it?

NO. We guarantee you'll absorb at least 90%. No one else can give you that claim. WHICH MEANS if you are taking any Over the counter brands of vitamins you are getting 35%?

Like your product now? That's called product QUALITY. It's also called deceiving the public. There's no one in the product isle to tell you what you're ingesting.

How it will effect you and the ONLY WAY to find that out is have your blood drawn and tested for those amounts. Once again, if the agent did the presentation correctly (and followed the book) there is NO WAY they could skip the insurance order (back up)....and that is only there to guarantee you don't lose your Preferred Customer Benefits . REMEMBER THOSE?? When you choose 35 product points you get significant rewards.

When was the last time CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart offered you $100.00 for shopping at their stores? OR 15% cash back for shopping with them. We'll give you 15% and you get to shop at over 650 retailers, people like JC PENNY, KOHL'S, LL.BEAN, NORDSTROM, TARGET, DELL, THE HOME DEPOT, (just to name a few) those stores you are already shopping at and you're not saving the extra we offer. DID you remember that being a 35 point shopper allows you to 7% monthly check?

As your enrollers business gets bigger you get a bigger slice of the pie. Tell me which of your favorite stores will send you a 7% check every month on their business.

Did you know that 96% of the customers that shopped with Melaleuca last month will shop with them this month? That's why. The benefits FAR OUTWEIGH the costs.

Cancelling is easy if you follow the directions.

Don't cancel on the last day of the month. Cancel in the beginning of the month and you'll be done.

to Rltorlai #1425790

35 points is $60.00 a month and with tax and shipping it comes to $75.00

to Rltorlai #1484106

To Mrs Starbucks is $150 a month. I've only heard of this product as of 30 mins ago when I stumbled across these reviews,and I'm in no way defending the product but if it was great and worked for you,me,him or her $75 is a pretty good deal in my eyes.

$2 soda diet regular or water $60 a month.

Lunch out $150-300, other vitamins, fresh fruits and vegetables etc. Way up there.