34.8K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Comments

It's a mlm/pyramid company. That is reason enough to say NO!

@PissedConsumer2228985

It's not an MLM/Pyramid company at all. It's just a wholesale shopping club.

People order and purchase directly from the manufacturer for products that cost less than local stores. Who doesn't want THAT?

My wife snd have been happy Melaleuca customers for 27 years (May 5 1995) have never ordered less than 75 points for most of that time and the health benefits have been amazing. We've enhanced many, many lives along the way.

We have been blessed financially as well. Paul & Linda 59 years together

#2084904

The review was thorough and am very glad to have such details n order to make an informed decision. I recently became acquainted with a melaleuca member of whom I am not impressed. She is a group discussion leader for a spiritual formation group and she spends the discussion time trying to push the products.

#2041211

It is a shame that you where not given a proper overview and yes you can buy less than 35 points per month it just cost you more and as far as cancelation if it is done properly it is processed in 24 hours. Get your facts straight.

#2049222
@PissedConsumer2041211

Disagree, they automatically send you a backup order meeting 35 points, and forget the customer service- horrible

#2057036
@PissedConsumer2049222

As was stated, get your facts straight. A backup order is only sent if you want it to be that way.

The customer is in complete control.

They shop when they want and don't shop when they want. Melaleuca does NOT force anybody to shop.

@PissedConsumer2041211

Every presentation is done through either a slide presentation or one of our many videos created by the company. They all talk about the back up order.

Each customer can CHOOSE what products they set up for the back up order. The back up order is only for preferred members just in case they forget to order, the back up order assures they will get only the products they use and need. Yes, you can order less than 35 points. There is a survey that a potential customer can take to see if it's a good fit or not, that addresses the 35 point requirement.

I'm a single woman and widowed on a fixed income and order at least 60 points worth of products every month and have for the past 4 years without any problem. The money I've saved is rediculous!! I could go on and on. It is too bad you oviously did not have a proper presentation.

There is always a bad apple in every batch. I suggest you find another representative, get a proper presentation and THEN deside if it's right for you.

I'm definately will be a Melaleuca customer for life! Stavrula L Crafa Seminole, Florida

@PissedConsumer2124847

People can't afford to shop any other way! Too bad there is misinformation out there.

#2019378

red flags are very real. will forcibly send you large, unwanted monthly orders until you cancel.

#2026596
@PissedConsumer2019378

Melaleuca does NOT FORCE anybody to shop. You can shop as often as you want or not at all.

If you don't want to shop, simply put the account on hold. Super simple.

But why would anybody want to put the account on hold for the type of products everybody buys regularly anyways. In other words, if a person switches to the Melaleuca brand for day to day necessities, they'd never have to put Melaleuca on hold.

#1981378

Not one comment has stated the environmental aspect of Melaleuca! The products are safe and made of natural ingredients!

Also, in the long run they are actually cheaper Than stores when you consider the concentration of the cleaning products! Take Sol-U-Gard....FDA approved germ fighting product, including COVID-19! One 16 ounce bottle makes 32 ounces of disinfectant. You reuse a spray bottle so less to toss in the recycle bin!

Saves on land fill! This bottle costs a member $9.99 or $14.50 non member. No need to rinse, no need to be concerned of ruining clothes with bleach! No need for childproof caps!

If you truly look into the products you find this company is trying to be an Earth friendly, responsible company. Melaleuca is a member based company. As is Sams and Costco, but less yearly. There are ways toget around becoming a ‘member’ and still getting the products.

I encourage all to go to the website and just surf! There is a lot of information out there! Yes, you will meet pushy people but most of us are here for ourselves and to help others! Melaleuca.com Go, search for yourselves, read all the tabs, don’t take someones word as gospel truth that had a bad experience!

Most of us have had great experiences with a great company with great products! And for the record, yes, I have not liked everything I have tried but I don’t know anyone who hasn’t had that experience anywhere they shop...not just Melaleuca!

#1981391

Totally agree!

#1988149
@PissedConsumer1981378

So why is it so hard to become a member

#2026592
@Cythia Acd

What do you mean, "hard to become a member"? I can send you a link if you want.

#2026588
@PissedConsumer1981378

The "natural ingredients" pick is false. I just got my box in... The doderant contains aluminum, and other products list toxic chemicals as their ingredients.

#2026595
@PissedConsumer2026588

Many of the ingredients are "natural". Others, and this is even more important, is that they are SAFE.

You mention, "aluminum".

Did you know that the Cancer Society does not indicate aluminum as unsafe? There are many credible sources that say aluminum is indeed safe.

@Eulala Nvr

Aluminum is a known neurotoxin that crosses that blood/brain barrier, degrading mental functions over time.

@PissedConsumer2026588

Agree

#2057029
@PissedConsumer1981378

Im a new customer of Melaleuca. I just started using a lot of their products and I’m falling in love with everything.

The products are amazing and not made with toxic ingredients. My house has never smelled so good before.

I can’t say enough good about this awesome company and their products. And you will end up saving so much money by buying products from melaleuca than buying store brand products.

Melaleuca Reviews