Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
21.1K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

I agree I had a difficult time Canceling my account and wasn’t informed about the backup order

ChivalrousIguana104

1) They don't put their name out there to keep the integrity of the company. When people overhear the same thing over and over, it weakens the name and people lose interest 2) Can you buy products at Costco or BJs without a membership?

The membership is annual and it's $19 a year and you're saving 30-50% than you would other retailers with the peace in having non toxic, clean, wholesome products without the extra chemicals 3) As far as I'm concerned and many others, we all buy cleaning products, supplements, snacks, scents, personal hygiene supplies, makeup etc etc. You'd be surprised how much you actually buy each month when you're out and about. 4) Backup order is for your convenience. You'll see this when applying for a membership.

But this touches on #3 as well 5) Canceling membership has nothing to do with research, but everything to do with simply calling the 1-800 number. 6) This isn't an MLM. This is an online membership to a wide range of non toxic alternatives while saving a ton of money in the process with extra rewards to earn free products. If you live the healthy lifestyle, this is for you.

Again, this is not an MLM. You are a member. A shopper. But the added bonus is that you can refer the online annual membership to a friend or family member and be rewarded for that.

As a crunchy Mom. These products have been a lifesaver and I love when I've forgotten to put in my purchase and everything I love and need just shows up at my door in my custom made backup order.

@ChivalrousIguana104

I have a good experience with this company and find I want to spend more than the necessary amount of points required monthly. I in turn, do not spend that money at my grocery store any more and simply skip those aisles.

I am on a budget and like utilizing products that are high quality and nontoxic. I can't see what the problem is.

If I don't like something, I call customer service and they take care of it. Great service and I wonder why someone posts on pissedoffcustomer when they are not in fact, a customer.

@Anonymous

Absolutely, we find ourselves spending because we love the products and understand the science behind them.

@Anonymous

They test on animals according to PETA, not very green if them

IncomparableHarrier459

Yes your on point!!

@ChivalrousIguana104

It is MLM. Anytime there is an up line or down line it’s MLM.

I buy products with no chemicals or parabans at my local store for cheaper and I only buy them when I need them. I also don’t have to cancel my credit card if i want to buy another brand next time I shop.

@ChivalrousIguana104

Nothing or no one is perfect. From the sounds of this original consumer; they must have gotten a bad rep because all of the red flags are things that we are required to mention in the presentation.

I find that most complaints are of those that are misinformed. We complain about things with do everyday. You get a gym membership and you pay monthly regardless if you go to the gym or not. You pay a membership to be able to purchase cheap products from Amazon.

Memberships are designed to help Manufacturers plan better. With Over 500 products 35pts is a joke. I always say that with Melaleuca you can't lose money, Why? If you buy a product and you like and use it; you did not lose your money.

If you buy a product and don't like it there is a 100% Money Back Guarantee so again you did not lose any money. Folks have their reasoning for joining Network Marketing/Direct Sales Companies and unfortunately some with bad mouth each other because they are trying to win folks to their company. People will try to make Melaleuca out to be a monster however I look at it totally different. Here is a company that can do like all the other big boys and pay a marketing firm to advertise it products and keep the profit; however Melaleuca give folks the opportunity to make income by marketing their products, I think this is one of the most non selfish act a company can do.

I don't see Walmart sharing in any profits!

Many folks are non able to think for themselves so they make many decisions based off of hearsay so that is why we don't blast Melaleuca's name because if we did folks will search the internet for negative (human nature) and not experience the good this company is doing. To each it's own however I can tell you that their are bad reps that will give go against company policy and cause post like this and there is no way around it.

@ChivalrousIguana104

With respect, tarnishing the brand integrity? That is a total load of hog wash.

It's a very specific marketing tactic utilized for the purpose of drawing interest. The only thing that would tarnish the brand's integrity would be the continuous sale and advertisement of products that very clearly do not work as described. (It Works wraps, for example). In addition, the company is 100% an MLM.

The breakdown of the different "levels" and earning potential for referrals is proof of that. Also, as with other MLMs, reps frequently leave out information in their advertisements in order to hook a client, so this couple's explanation makes perfect sense.

It's shady business. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still going to be a pig.

UtopianFlounder829

I want to apologize to all the people who have had a bad experience and then I want to apologize for of these tactics some of the Melaleuca supporters are using in this post. I like the products that Melaleuca sells (been a member for a year).

What makes me different from a lot of Melaleuca customers is that I too agree that some of the ways they go about presenting are a little shady. But that’s why you have to read stuff for yourself. I believe they should use a little more honesty. I also think it is setup like MLM...but it works for many so what does that matter?

It can be a little difficult to cancel. It’s not just a phone call you actually do have to sign a letter (you write it yourself) and scan it in (you can take a pic with your phone). Your enroller cannot do anything to stop you from canceling. They may make you feel bad about canceling and tell you about all the loyalty dollars you are missing out on.

But it is still your choice!! You will be able to see that there are 2 main types of comments when it comes to Melaleuca and very very few like mine. Either extremely negative where they say Melaleuca is a scam and the other type are the ones who defend Melaleuca and not admit that some of these things are true or even understand why some of the methods could make people uncomfortable. Neither approach is correct.

Melaleuca is not a scam. But it does have flaws any company does. Many of the members get so defensive (and make it look worse than it is). But they get defensive because a company they love so much and has helped them is being so badly reviewed.

It’s natural they’d want to share their positive experiences. I just wished they’d go about it the right way. So yes it’s a REAL COMPANY . The products are AMAZING.

There are MANY FLAWS (but what company doesn’t have any). If this may work for you give it a try...if it doesn’t thanks for listening anyways and if you know someone it may work for let them know!

It's a shame your presenter wasn't appropriately explaining the process. The reason the company name wasn't on the flyer is because they don't advertise.

Also if for whatever reason an independent contractor acts unethically or in a way that is out of line with company policies, then they are not held accountable legally for that person's behavior. Secondly, yes membership is required to purchase products. It's a shopping club. Clubs have fees.

Just like Costco, Sam's or BJ's, or Amazon Prime - except Melaleuca is less than $20 per year. Next it is NOT a requirement to shop for 35 points per month just to be a regular member, but it's an easy target because most people but more than that anyway. Preferred Member status does come with a 35 point minimum and backup order requirements, but you do get access to more deals and benefits. The backup order is meant to be just that, a backup for when a member may forget to shop that month, it keeps the membership status current - you can choose and change the items at anytime and set reminders so that you can avoid having that order shipped.

Cancellation or changing your status from Preferred to Regular is as easy as a phone call. Customer service answers the phone in seconds and typically handles issues in a few (2-4) minutes.

This is my experience from someone who actually did sign up as a customer. My family love the products and we have never had a problem with the service.

Walk softly ...

It’s not a scam ! You get the product and if you don’t understand how it works it’s not their fault because you can’t read

Always interesting when I see folks make a company out to be bad because they are membership based. Companies are able to do more when they know they have folks that will be there monthly. What about when Cell Phone companies made you sign a 2 year contract?

#1691910
@Anonymous

When the presentor is told not to mention the company name, and important financial/contractual details get glossed over for the sake of "life changing products", the company makes THEMSELVES out to look bad. These reviewers are simply stating their experiences.

There is a difference between FACTS and slander. My OPINION is that the presentation is sneaky, misleading, pushy and desperate. Other monthly billing companies (such as cell phone companies per your example) or membership based stores like sam's or costco don't use this method of doing business.

Besides, why do you care if people don't sign up? Is because you need more money in the pot for you pyramid scheme?

I had these same reservations after the presentation as well. I have a feeling that any company/business that emphasizes signing people up, no matter what the product is, is BS.

This kept playing in my mind as we were encouraged to sign up and tell others.

I do want to try the products so I won't cancel yet. Thank you for your opinion.

@Mrs. Essahnd

Mrs. E.

There is no rule that you have to do anything except use the product. People who sign with melaleuca do it, to either use the product and become a preferred customer (ordering a minimum of 35 product points per month. For that you get many different benefits, including $100.00 back in the first 5 months in free products OR pay for your order. Then after that 15% bonus shopping dollars going into your side account which you can use to pay for your order.

there is also a credit card, and when you use that on the outside, 15% of whatever you spent goes into your bonus shopping pool so that you can use it to buy monthly product. Then if you continue and if your enroller is building a business you get 7% of his/her business every month. There is NO emphasis that you HAVE TO enroll others.

NONE. Hope this helps.

@rltorlai

This is very helpful, thank you!

clearvu

I absolutely don't understand you comment. It just doesn't make any sense.

It sounds like you are saying that your enroller won't allow you to cancel your membership??? That makes no sense whatsoever. It's not up to the enroller. It's up to the YOU, the customer.

If you want to quit, just quit.

You don't need approval from anyone but yourself. I can understand that it can negatively affect the enroller depending on their status, but that's life.

You talk about enroller problems. My enroller had me sign up at 18 and I couldn't cancel my account becuase it was non negotiable with her.

Well, at 30 I got married and my husband and I had so much melaleuca from over the years that we ended up throwing away hundreds of dollars of products. It was a waste but what do you do with so much product that is taking up space? We canceled our account. My enroller recently found out that our account is canceled and she won't allow that to happen.

I think I'll eventually be forced to sign back up. She said she will pay for us to sign up and pay for our products monthly so she can keep her status but bottom line is we don't want the products. The CEO is great.

I respect Frank and the business he runs but the enrollers are crazy and obsessed. I got out for many reasons but one major reason is the way people who do the business do not give the customer an option of getting out.