Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22.1K views

I have read a lot of reviews about Melaleuca, both favorable and unfavorable, and I thought I'd put in the 2 cents of a couple who did not sign up and the reasons why not via our experience after being invited to a evening to discuss these products by a friend of ours.

1. First of all, the company was not identified in the invitation, just a description of the general types of products and how "life-changing" they were. If these products are so amazing, why not ID the company in the invitation?

2. My husband and I were absolutely not interested in starting a business, we were just potentially interested in a couple of the products. However,there appears to be no way to just buy the products themselves without membership. Website marketplace access does not really appear to be available to nonmembers.

3. The absolute requirement for purchase of 35 points worth of product EVERY MONTH, no exceptions, was not appropriate for us. We do not have any use for this much product, it would be a waste of money for us, and again, we couldn't find a way to just buy a product or two except on Ebay or Amazon.

4. AT NO POINT did the representative who was presenting bring up the "backup order" that was an integral part of membership. We didn't find out that we would be sent product regardless of whether we needed it or ordered it every month. This was the biggest red flags for us. If this is an absolute requirement, why was it not emphasized in the presentation?

5. From my research online, cancelling the membership seems to be somewhat difficult process and the company seems to take their time processing your cancellation while continuing to send you product and taking your money. We basically agreed we would not trust this company with out bank account or credit card information.

Overall, the big "red flags" to us were the repetitive emphasis on the "wonderfulness" of the products or the membership without being crystal clear on the requirements. Yes, anyone signing up for something needs to read the contract, but my observation was that little time was being given to do that, nor that one could take the contract home to read it before signing up. It was a typical high pressure pitch. I realize Melaleuca may work well for some people, but the product purchase requirements, the emphasis on signing up new people and the "upline/downline" format still suggest a typical MLM scheme where you are only going to succeed if you put in hours and hours working to bring in new people or have a heck of a lot of product need in your home. And that doesn't work for a lot of people, including us.

Comments

They always advertise it on social media as something like Costco or Sam's Club or I notice they never say the name, only use the words shop club. I have an annual membership to Sam's club and I go throughout the year and purchase what I need.

Melaleuca forces you to purchase every month, and if you don't you either get charged and a back up order arrives, or you will be charged and get a credit to use. Costco and Sam's club doesn't require me to purchase every month,I purchase when I want to. Also, I don't have to cancel my membership, I simply do not renew it the next year. Here, you have to mail or fax it to them and I see it's always "we didn't receive it".

I'm assuming that's so they can get another month of auto ship out out of you. As much as they like to argue and say it's not an MLM, it is 100% one. Anytime there's an upline/downline, levels that you rank up etc, it's an MLM lol. Also, any reputable company never requires you to be on auto ship, only MLM's do that.

God bless all the Huns rushing in here to defend their pyramid scheme. And go read the hundreds upon hundreds of complaints on the BBB website. The same issue, people can't seem to cancel. There is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't be able to go into your account and cancel.

That's ridiculous that in 2020 you have to call them, be put on hold forever just to get them to email you a cancellation form for you to print out and them have to mail or fax it to them. They do this on purpose, to make it hard for you to cancel.. Then as most of the complaints on the BBB website show, they never seem to get the cancellation form and keep charging people.

I have many subscriptions, including Netflix, Hulu, Ipsy etc and I can literally just go under my account and hit the cancel button.. Shady companies like this to this kind of nonsense!

Kierstan
@Anonymous

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. Firstly, I have a Costco membership and THEY DO AUTOMATICALLY RENEW EVERY YEAR.

Secondly, you DO NOT have to purchase Melaleuca products every month. Thirdly, canceling is simply a matter of completing their cancel form and agreeing that you are willing to forfeit the free dollars they give customers. Obviously you need to agree to that, otherwise a person could go back to them and claim that was their money. Also, cancellations are typically processed within a few hours.

Fourthly, there are millions upon millions of transactions yearly. Did you ever calculate how even a few hundred BBB complaints is less than .001 of a percent of the transactions? I think it's incredible how few complains they have on BBB. Fiftly, I've NEVER heard of anyone having to wait on hold.

If it ever does happen, it is very rare.

So I really don't know where you gathered your information from. If you want to understand more about Melaleuca, this website is quite detailed: https://www.melaleucaexposed.com.

@Kierstan

Curious, I am seriously thinking of joining and YES I was told that I have to purchase a monthly total of 35 points OR I will get mailed a back up order which is charged to my account, That was told to me today 1/15/2020. I am now re thinking joining.

Eulala
@Anonymous

You do NOT have to purchase monthly, although you likely will anyways if you do switch to the Melaleuca brand for what you are already buying anyways. If you put your account on hold, which you can do at any time, there will NOT be any charge or order shipped to you.

This is a very simple and convenient shopping club designed for those wishing to save money, benefit their health and protect the environment when compared to other stores. All of this is explained at www.melaleucaexposed.com

I totally agree with this written explanation from their experience. It was also our (frustrating) experience too.

We finally cancelled our membership, not before much grief),and didn’t look back. The products are very good, but, I agree, it’s silly that one cannot purchase individually and without a stringent membership!

I agree I had a difficult time Canceling my account and wasn’t informed about the backup order

Catia

1) They don't put their name out there to keep the integrity of the company. When people overhear the same thing over and over, it weakens the name and people lose interest 2) Can you buy products at Costco or BJs without a membership?

The membership is annual and it's $19 a year and you're saving 30-50% than you would other retailers with the peace in having non toxic, clean, wholesome products without the extra chemicals 3) As far as I'm concerned and many others, we all buy cleaning products, supplements, snacks, scents, personal hygiene supplies, makeup etc etc. You'd be surprised how much you actually buy each month when you're out and about. 4) Backup order is for your convenience. You'll see this when applying for a membership.

But this touches on #3 as well 5) Canceling membership has nothing to do with research, but everything to do with simply calling the 1-800 number. 6) This isn't an MLM. This is an online membership to a wide range of non toxic alternatives while saving a ton of money in the process with extra rewards to earn free products. If you live the healthy lifestyle, this is for you.

Again, this is not an MLM. You are a member. A shopper. But the added bonus is that you can refer the online annual membership to a friend or family member and be rewarded for that.

As a crunchy Mom. These products have been a lifesaver and I love when I've forgotten to put in my purchase and everything I love and need just shows up at my door in my custom made backup order.

@Catia

I have a good experience with this company and find I want to spend more than the necessary amount of points required monthly. I in turn, do not spend that money at my grocery store any more and simply skip those aisles.

I am on a budget and like utilizing products that are high quality and nontoxic. I can't see what the problem is.

If I don't like something, I call customer service and they take care of it. Great service and I wonder why someone posts on pissedoffcustomer when they are not in fact, a customer.

@Anonymous

Absolutely, we find ourselves spending because we love the products and understand the science behind them.

@Anonymous

They test on animals according to PETA, not very green if them

#1791944
@Anonymous

You guys must work for them. So sad that you have to stoop to these lies to try to convince people.

Keefe

Yes your on point!!

@Catia

It is MLM. Anytime there is an up line or down line it’s MLM.

I buy products with no chemicals or parabans at my local store for cheaper and I only buy them when I need them. I also don’t have to cancel my credit card if i want to buy another brand next time I shop.

Camden
#1791934
@Anonymous

Actually read up on the NON toxic products your buying at the store. They have one or more of the most toxins!

Read up on Dreft and Meyer dish soap etc! If u have any questions I don’t sell it, I have a great job! But I love the products and I do love that if u tell someone about it and they sign up u get a piece of the pie! I don’t ever tell anyone to join.

They ask! So if u want no pressure and just want to review it and know it’s not just a couple options tonspent 35 points, I’ll show u what I do. I skip certain things I used to get at stores and online places and get them here and save is all! Not one person made me feel I should start seeking ppl and selling.

If u need help to see how it’s really sup to be done and how it works and benefits me ...

a single dog mom lol, message me :) again I have a great full time job w many bonuses. I just shop here!

@Catia

Nothing or no one is perfect. From the sounds of this original consumer; they must have gotten a bad rep because all of the red flags are things that we are required to mention in the presentation.

I find that most complaints are of those that are misinformed. We complain about things with do everyday. You get a gym membership and you pay monthly regardless if you go to the gym or not. You pay a membership to be able to purchase cheap products from Amazon.

Memberships are designed to help Manufacturers plan better. With Over 500 products 35pts is a joke. I always say that with Melaleuca you can't lose money, Why? If you buy a product and you like and use it; you did not lose your money.

If you buy a product and don't like it there is a 100% Money Back Guarantee so again you did not lose any money. Folks have their reasoning for joining Network Marketing/Direct Sales Companies and unfortunately some with bad mouth each other because they are trying to win folks to their company. People will try to make Melaleuca out to be a monster however I look at it totally different. Here is a company that can do like all the other big boys and pay a marketing firm to advertise it products and keep the profit; however Melaleuca give folks the opportunity to make income by marketing their products, I think this is one of the most non selfish act a company can do.

I don't see Walmart sharing in any profits!

Many folks are non able to think for themselves so they make many decisions based off of hearsay so that is why we don't blast Melaleuca's name because if we did folks will search the internet for negative (human nature) and not experience the good this company is doing. To each it's own however I can tell you that their are bad reps that will give go against company policy and cause post like this and there is no way around it.

@Catia

With respect, tarnishing the brand integrity? That is a total load of hog wash.

It's a very specific marketing tactic utilized for the purpose of drawing interest. The only thing that would tarnish the brand's integrity would be the continuous sale and advertisement of products that very clearly do not work as described. (It Works wraps, for example). In addition, the company is 100% an MLM.

The breakdown of the different "levels" and earning potential for referrals is proof of that. Also, as with other MLMs, reps frequently leave out information in their advertisements in order to hook a client, so this couple's explanation makes perfect sense.

It's shady business. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still going to be a pig.

@Catia

@Catia. It 100% is an MLM.

Stop saying that it isn't! There's uplines/downlines, levels you rank up, recruiting of others to join etc. it's literally no different than any other MLM. Lol..

And they don't say the name because it weakens the brand? That is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. Seriously! And yes, there are chemical free brands that you can get that's not from an MLM or your "shop club".

That's the problem with you MLM's, y'all say yours is the best in the world. If that was the case,it would be sold on the shelves of stores, not sold by an MLM company. Do you guys ever listen to how stupid you sound with you spew this nonsense? Luckily, there's such a large anti MLM movement that's growing by the day, so in a few years, it's gonna be harder for you guys to con people, because it's being talked about so much more now.

Go look at the huge anti MLM YouTube channels, go look at the 500,000 people that are members of the the sub Reddit, anti/MLM. Go look at the 150k members of the group "Sounds like MLM, but ok" on Facebook. And you can thank yourselves for this movement.

The predatory tactics you use to prey on people,, the auto ships these reps don't disclose, the Photoshopping of pictures, the income claims they make, the *** products they sell, the egregious medical claims they make, the cold messaging etc etc. People are getting tired of it.

Kierstan
@Anonymous

The FTC is cracking down on MLM companies left, right and center. This is GREAT for the consumer and a protection for innocent people getting conned by such companies.

Fortunately, Melaleuca is not MLM. They are so far from that business model it isn't funny. I have a friend that is owns a Real Estate business. There are multiple levels of income earned depending on the position a person is.

Many even set up referral incentives, all of which are like Melaleuca. Having multiple levels of pay does not make a business MLM. In any case, the FTC actually uses Melaleuca's business model as an example of how other business should operate.

Melaleuca is squeaky clean and will be the last one standing when MLM companies are all shut down. To be educated about what Melaleuca is and is not, a great site is https://www.melaleucaexposed.com.

Shakeena

I want to apologize to all the people who have had a bad experience and then I want to apologize for of these tactics some of the Melaleuca supporters are using in this post. I like the products that Melaleuca sells (been a member for a year).

What makes me different from a lot of Melaleuca customers is that I too agree that some of the ways they go about presenting are a little shady. But that’s why you have to read stuff for yourself. I believe they should use a little more honesty. I also think it is setup like MLM...but it works for many so what does that matter?

It can be a little difficult to cancel. It’s not just a phone call you actually do have to sign a letter (you write it yourself) and scan it in (you can take a pic with your phone). Your enroller cannot do anything to stop you from canceling. They may make you feel bad about canceling and tell you about all the loyalty dollars you are missing out on.

But it is still your choice!! You will be able to see that there are 2 main types of comments when it comes to Melaleuca and very very few like mine. Either extremely negative where they say Melaleuca is a scam and the other type are the ones who defend Melaleuca and not admit that some of these things are true or even understand why some of the methods could make people uncomfortable. Neither approach is correct.

Melaleuca is not a scam. But it does have flaws any company does. Many of the members get so defensive (and make it look worse than it is). But they get defensive because a company they love so much and has helped them is being so badly reviewed.

It’s natural they’d want to share their positive experiences. I just wished they’d go about it the right way. So yes it’s a REAL COMPANY . The products are AMAZING.

There are MANY FLAWS (but what company doesn’t have any). If this may work for you give it a try...if it doesn’t thanks for listening anyways and if you know someone it may work for let them know!

It's a shame your presenter wasn't appropriately explaining the process. The reason the company name wasn't on the flyer is because they don't advertise.

Also if for whatever reason an independent contractor acts unethically or in a way that is out of line with company policies, then they are not held accountable legally for that person's behavior. Secondly, yes membership is required to purchase products. It's a shopping club. Clubs have fees.

Just like Costco, Sam's or BJ's, or Amazon Prime - except Melaleuca is less than $20 per year. Next it is NOT a requirement to shop for 35 points per month just to be a regular member, but it's an easy target because most people but more than that anyway. Preferred Member status does come with a 35 point minimum and backup order requirements, but you do get access to more deals and benefits. The backup order is meant to be just that, a backup for when a member may forget to shop that month, it keeps the membership status current - you can choose and change the items at anytime and set reminders so that you can avoid having that order shipped.

Cancellation or changing your status from Preferred to Regular is as easy as a phone call. Customer service answers the phone in seconds and typically handles issues in a few (2-4) minutes.

This is my experience from someone who actually did sign up as a customer. My family love the products and we have never had a problem with the service.

Melaleuca Reviews