Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6.2K views

I never thought that I would write a complaint/review about a fiber product. I have struggled with irregularity for many years and have found no product (I have tried many) that was even close to the "silver bullet". By chance, I tried the Melaleuca FiberWise (Orange) fiber product and noticed almost immediate and consistent results. I have never been happier with a product. Unfortunately, someone decided that it was time for a change, and without notice, a significant change in the formulation was implemented in January, 2012.

At first, I did not realize that there was such a change, until we received new shipments of the product in late May, 2012, which included this new lot of reformulated product. What I did notice, almost immediately, that the product was completely ineffective, though somewhat smoother in texture. I looked at the ingredients and noticed that the first ingredient was no longer "psyllium seed husk powder", but rather "maltodextrin fiber" in addition to other changes.

Obviously, this baffled me? Why would Melaleuca make such a major change to a health product without informing customers? Why would Melaleuca substitute maltodextrin fiber (a convenience, but ineffective, fiber source that does not produce gas) for a completely effective source, pysllium? Were there some complaints from customers regarding excess gas and bloating? I asked these questions of Melaleuca customer service, who tried to be helpful, but there were no answers forthcoming, except that their "scientists" decided to make such a change. This really didn't help and there has been no additional follow-up from customer service.

In any case, are Melaleuca scientists aware of concepts other than "soluble" and "insoluble" fiber, such as "total" and "effective" fiber? While maltodextrin is a soluble (technically fiber) bulking source (also a caking, filling and binding material for other industrial products), it is not an "effective" fiber. What are the justifications for substituting psyllium seed husk powder for maltodextrin fiber? Is maltodextrin fiber more abundant or convenient? I certainly hope this reformulation, using maltodextrin fiber, isn't a matter of cost-cutting to increase Melaleuca's bottom-line?

In fine, the reformulated iteration of this product "does not work" and I am recommending that customers look for a suitable replacement and to call Melaleuca and "voice" their opinions and ask that the previous formulation be sold again, perhaps, under a different name (original formulation) or altogether replace the current (ineffective) formulation.

Comments

Maltodextrine Spikes Insulin. Melaleuca Glocose control shake mix is loaded with it.

Very interesting. I'm on this site today simply because I wanted to find out why the fibrewise tasted different.

I too have noticed that I do not feel as well since taking this new formulation. The fibrewise change as well as the change to the 50+ mens pills have definitely made a difference in me.

C'mon Melaleuca, get back to what works. I am not happy and will start looking for alternatives.

That explains why I feel bloated after drinking it and I agree it doesn't seem like it's working. I hate feeling bloated, at first I was thinking it was making me gain weight.

Proprietary Blend 16g

Maltodextrin Fiber, psyllium seed husk, oat fiber, rice bran, inulin, fructooligosacharides, apple fiber, Lactobacillus acidophilus, green tea leaf extract, grape seed extract (Vitis viniferal), burdock root powder, (Arctium Tappa), peppermint leaf powder, ginger root extract, alce vera leaf extract, licorice root powder.

I simply Love FiberWise

@maya

I'm really disappointed as I've been loyal and faithful to Melaleuca believing all along I was consuming an all-natural, healthy product. I saw Maltodextrin on the label when I looked out of curiosity and am flabbergasted as to how they can claim their products are healthy. My loyal customer status has changed and I am so disappointed as this has most likely derailed most of my intentions to be healthy for the past two years.

This is both srteet smart and intelligent.

Please report your observations to Melaleuca customer service and demand that they revert back to the original formula. One thing that I have found, to make the stock of newly formulated fiberwise more effective, is to mix 2 scoops of fiberwise with 1 scoop of regular/course ground psyllium fiber (either walgreens or metamucil).

Hi T.,

I agree on this one,i also noticed the change and the fiber doesn't work like before,i wish they can go back to the old formula.

Message to Fiber Wise: I was not aware that the sweetener was substituted and cannot find this on the label. I do see, on a small note, that they are using crystalline fructose, which isn't artificial per se.

In any case, I would encourage you and any others who have used this product in the past (lots prior to the Jan.

2012 reformulation, which have psyllium seed husk powder as the first ingredient) to complain vigorously to Melaleuca and ask that they revert to the prior formulation. Essentially, the old formulation was absolutely superior to anything else on the market and they have changed it, I fear, to reduce their costs -- bad move.

I am extremely disappointed that they replaced the sugar with an artificial sweetener,and even though I complained quite often about it they havent changed it back and claim its safe but the bottom line is that artificial sweetener isnt safe,no matter how often you say it is so we had to discontinue using the product.very disappointed.

Maltodextrin fiber is, indeed, the first ingredient. Evidently, you have not yet received a batch of the reformulated product. I have discussed this at length with customer service and they admit to the reformulation. So, I am neither misreading the label nor misinterpreting it.

Melaleuca will allow returns and I am pleased to hear this.

In any case, good luck when you do receive the new formulation.

#519109

I have been a customer for almost 10 years and have used fiberwise for at least the last 5. It has worked wonders for me throughout the years, even with the new formulation. No compaints at all.

Please be sure to let Melaleuca know your experience and opinions. They are very receptive to customer demand.

I have been a Melaleuca customer for 12 years and have seen several instances where they have definitely reformulated or brought back discontinued products due to customer demand.

At the bottom of every page on their website there is a link for feedback. Please take advantage of it and let your feelings be known.

No problems here we feel great

ok... i almost didn't try this because of what you said...

I love the Fiber-Wise :) Also when I called them - they told me if I didn't like it I could have a my money back...no questions asked....

I love this on-line store... Happy shopper :)

My wife and I have been satisfied customers of many of Melaleuca's fine products. My wife commented, that our most recent order of FiberWise had a finer/ smoother texture. And it mixes better. But I the label on the container still has psyllium husks as the first ingredient. Maltodextrin is in fact an ingredient, but it doesn't even appear on the first line in the list of ingredients. It does happen to be the first ingredient on the second line directly below psyllium husks.

So I don't know, if it's possible, that when you noticed the change in consistency, that you glanced at the label and saw maltodextrine on the left hand side of the label and read it as the first ingrdient. Thus leading you to this false conclusion.

We have not noticed any decrease in the effectiveness of FiberWise! :?