Augusta, Georgia
22.2K views
4.2

I have been extremely concerned about some of the Melaleuca products I have been using. First of all, I will not buy any of their food products because most of them contain artificial sweeteners hidden in the ingredients.

I began to think, If these are in the food, maybe the body products aren't safe either. I then realized the body wash and lotions have ingredients such as dimethicone and phenoxyethanol. Phenoxyethanol can alter DNA. I think it is very dangerous and can cause cancer.

After doing much research, I know there is no way I could offer most of these products to other people with good conscience. It's a shame because there are a couple products I like such as the detergent and fabric softener. I am going to look next into their cleaning products.

They all list "preservatives" as an ingredient but it doesn't explain what preservatives. Anyone using Melaleuca should be doing their own research.

Reason of review: dangerous ingredients.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Melaleuca Pros: Customer service.

Melaleuca Cons: Dangerous product ingredients.

Comments

HandmadeMammoth940

I used to sell melaleuca for a year because I have chemical sensitivities until I started having reactions to alot of the products. I researched and found alot of chemicals in the ingredients were hidden under other names.

Thank you for sharing your findings. Looks like greenwashing to me!

You do not know what you are talking about. Go take a chemistry class for f sake.

Phenoxyethanol does not alter DNA. Extremely low doses are used in cosmetics and it is safe under 1%.

It is a glycol ether. It doesn’t cause skin cancer either.

Thankyou. Good to know this information

22 Cosmetics Companies File for ‘Trade Secret’ Status to Skirt Toxins Law Laura Beans Jan. 30, 2014 09:17AM EST https://www.google.com/search?q=22+companies+skirt+toxins+law

Funny. I JUST left a message on their feedback page asking them to stop using sucralose in their “health” food products.

Melaleuca products have the same harsh ingredients as store bought products. I felt very deceived by this company that advertises as a wellness company.

Phenoetxhanol causes birth defects which is an ingredient that is in many products that I vowed to stay away from. I was very angry to find this ingredient in melaleuca products.

I have been using melaleuca products for years because I thought they were safe products. Once I became more educated I too realized that the ingredients they used were very harmful. I was very disappointed and angry to find this out.

Most preservatives in Melaleuca products are Lemon. About 20 lemons help the products last longer.

Also Fragrance listed is fruit fragrance or flower fragrance. Melaleuca protects their products ingredient lists, they have many patents, like Coca Cola protects their secret formula.

I have been using the products 13 years and have no health issues. My asthma went away, have had it about 50 years and once I converted my home to Melaleuca I no longer needed the inhalers for me and my children and grandchildren.

@Evelyn

I was told by a Melalucea rep that "fragrance" is synthetic...please call and simply ask.

@Evelyn

all good cooks know that it's not just the ingredients that make a dish. It's the quality of the product and process.

Other companies Do Disclose All of their ingredients. Melaleuca chooses not too, for a reason and it's not because companies want to steal their recipes.

I am concerned about this exact same thing... that's why I conducted a search.What preservatives?

This company admitted using METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE which is for sure NOT NATURAL, it is very chemical and very BAD preservative! They do refuse to give you exact ingredients list, they are allowed to hide behind trade secret!!!!!

This government should IMMEDIATELY BAN cosmetic companies from using trade secret!!! It is their way of hiding ingredients from people, not from other cosmetic companies, those other companies can afford to have a product tested, it is regular folks that can't afford it!!!!

@Mila

Well said

Please look at anything listed scent of fragrance. They are made with chemicals.

Try H2O at home, they are Cleaning and Personal Care Products that are certified chemical and toxin free by Nature & Progres and EcoCert. They also offer a 10% money back guarantee if you are completely satisfied.

They also work wonderfully, in fact you can clean you house for the most part with just water and their Chiffonnettes. www.myh2oathome.com/sharonmurtha/.

@Anonymous

H20 at Home is awesome!!!

@Anonymous

Oh a 10% guarantee. So generous...

All of their ingredients came from plants and they use non-harsh chemicals-chemicals that will not cause us extremely DNA alterations compare to other products out there. Speaking of chemicals, and this is just for comparison, next time you go to Walmart or your favorite grocery store, check out the label of the bacon.

Yes, our favorite bacon! It contains nitrate- a main ingredient in antifreeze that we use on our windshield. And there are many other products out there that are harsher than melaleuca's that you should be concerned about. Melaleuca's product information advocate will tell you what's in the "preservatives" if you have questions.

I did my research on ingredients foreign to me and I called product customer service for further explanation and comparison. They really are better than others! I will rather take my chances with melaleuca products than other stores! Next time you go to your store, see if you can drink Lysol daily disinfectant because You can with melaleuca's version of it!

They don't have security caps and my visitor's child got hold of it, that's when I found out you won't die or get really sick. I can only imagine what would have happened with that child if he got other brands!