Stay Away from Melaleuca - Such a Scam

Sep 15, 2013
review #447198

I like how Melaleuca has marketing people writing all of these positive reviews on a site where people are COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM :| Their products are subpar, not natural, not organic, and overpriced.Their customer service comes of "oh so nice," but when you try to quit the company, get a credit and forget about a refund...you'll encounter the NOT so nice management.

They are NOT about refunding anything. They'll give you "credits" towards returned purchases, but you'll never see your money again. Also, when you try to cut the cord, they'll claim they never received your OPT OUT form and continue to bill you.

There are much better products on the market and with a little reasearch, you CAN find them.Forget this pyramid scam/scheme!

af820ad
Had an experience with Melaleuca?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Julie

Jul 26 Deland, Florida

Have not had a problem yet as far as I know terminating my association with Melaleuca but it has only been a few days... however I was sold on the "natural safe ingredient" part which was totally untrue.
There is shellac and a compound called ferrous ammonium ferricyanide which is on the FDA list of carcinogenic dangerous substances and this is in the eye liner - anything that goes in the eye goes straight into the blood stream and I don't want any substance ending in cyanide in or near my eyes.
Now as for the business they say they are not multilevel - this is a lie, they say that you can make money easily and not like other MLM's where you have to be on the highest level, that is a lie - I bought into this and very shortly after I joined I was told that I had to think about getting a ridiculous amount of people signed on in the first month just to make $500 or so... It was over ten people a month ... also they wanted me to make the usual list of all the people I know, my sponsor assured me that I would not have to recruit all my buddies - but that changed as soon as I signed on, then as for the leads I was supposed to get.... I could get them at ten dollars a lead.
I had two of my friends sign up the first month and one of them returned the product immediately, she said the tile cleaner did not work and had an awful smell - I googled it only to find that many people complained about the smell of it and said it did not work... my other friend just could not afford
... Show more

1 1 Reply

Jun 08 Salt Lake City, Utah

In response to DJ comments below, while people enjoy some of the food items of the over 350 products available most of the products ordered by customers are non-grocery consumables. You can't buy Milk, eggs
or butter.

0 0 Reply

Jun 08 Salt Lake City, Utah

Some people are just plain nasty when it comes to negotiating a conflict with
a company or anyone. It would easier if they just told the whole truth, but I guess
embellishments are to be expected from some folks !

May 21 Birmingham, Michigan

Finally, somebody else that sees they are absolutely NOt all natural as they claim. Their children's toothpaste has aspartame in it. The sustain drink has the artificial sweetener sucralose in it. Wake up people just because a company wants you to believe its all natural doesn't make it so!

3 2 Reply

May 21 Saint Louis, Missouri

'Should have done your homework. Melaleuca does not claim the term "all natural" but rather, they state that they do not use toxic ingredients. Poison mushrooms are "all natural" but its probably not a good idea to consume them.
NO, aspertame is NOT used in children's toothpaste, but vegetable-derived xylitol is used. Dentists recommend it, and it is not harmful to the teeth.
The major sweetner of Sustain is from fruit. A little sucralose is used (made from table sugar)---still considered the safest low or non-caloric sweetener, except for stevia, which many people find to be rather bad-tasting. When science finds something to be unsafe, Melaleuca won't use it. It's funny that people who would make a statement about sucralose so often use bleach, Cascade, Tide, candles with toxic ingredients and wicks, popcorn in toxic bags, and other easily-identifiable hazardous ingredients.

6 1 Reply
pati

May 14 Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania

This is not a SCAM. You order products.They send you exactly what you order. Nothing else. How is that a SCAM? If they get your order wrong, typically they let you keep the product and order what you asked for originally. How is that a SCAM? I know! It 's happened to me twice. Hardly a Scam! Even Melaleuca does not claim to have the best products on the market...BUT what they claim is high quality ingredients that are safe. It's true...Again, No SCAM here. If you want to drop out "fax then a note to cancel before the end of that month" and you're membership is cancelled. I know I did this once! It's not rocket science...just follow their directions. They even provide a link for 'cancellation'.
Couldn't find those "amazingly better" products you claim are so much better and came back to Melaleuca.

4 1 Reply

Apr 30 Saint Louis, Missouri

I know firsthand that this person doesn't have a CLUE! The Melaleuca products are SO much better than name brands I used to use, and yes, I've had friends who have closed their accounts, and it takes less than five minutes. Prices? My major cleaner is less than $1 a bottle! If a regular customer (shopper) is shopping all the time, they are happy to get a credit if they return a product (even empty) because they're SHOPPING and will use it. Those who close their accounts certainly CAN get refunds, though I don't know anyone personally who's asked for a refund. BTW--you cannot close your account by phone. Writing a note, or doing the online form is simple.

1 1 Reply
DJ

Feb 26 Long Beach, California

I have been a customer with Melaleuca for more than 3 years now and we love the products! A good thing I could write about Melaleuca is its wonderful Consumer Direct Marketing program. I love it. You can choose not to be part of it, but why not? It's allows you to receive commission checks for people doing their grocery shopping with Melaleuca. They may be people who were placed under your organization by someone else. It's a fixed organizational 5x7 matrix in that eventually the spaces are filled up with customers and some of them may flow into customers that are not building the business, just like you, and you may receive a check every month for doing nothing. You're check might not be big enough, but if you think a little about it, that's savings for you.

Axel4Life

Feb 11 Auckland, Auckland

That statement is Totally UNTRUE as I have had 4 People in 2 Years that have had 100% cash Back refunds!

1 0 Reply
Ladylorie

Jan 20 Mississauga, Ontario

I became a customer with Melaleuca in 1995. They impressed me then, and they continue to impress me now. I can't imagine not having their products in my home. As for the monthly commitment, that system is in place in order to generate a residual income for customer referrals. In exchange, for the commitment to purchasing a minimum monthly order, you will enjoy preferred customer pricing. Melaleua has a significant number and variety of products. Certainly, if you are only looking at cleaning products, you will struggle to meet that monthly commitment, especially since the cleaning products are concentrated and are extremely inexpensive. A great deal!! However, if you do all of your shopping there, and that includes haircare, skin care, make-up, hygiene, health supplements, food products - then you will end up using five times the minimum requirement. In exchange, you enjoy great prices, great products and you have provided a family with an income - for doing something once. Getting you to switch stores. Buy what you already buy, but buy it from Melaleuca. And as a bonus - you get advantage dollars to put towards free products. That virtually eliminates the necessary delivery charge. It's wonderful. I am not doing the business anymore. My circle of influence is small. But I continue to get a cheque every month. I am the most skeptical person there is. I have definitely seen my share of shady stuff. But I can tell you, without a doubt, that this company is stellar! You cannot... Show more

vic

Dec 14, 2013

sorry but, you are wrong. I have seen people cancel their benefits or membership and they receive no penalty, I was getting instructions about returning a product, yet never sent it back instead I used it with time just to try, the product was good.

Dec 10, 2013 Duluth, Minnesota

What a way to do business, make people spend a certain amount of money every month like a bill. Of course, if you don't order enough they will send you product you may not need nor want to match the amount of your "Monthly Bill" so they get there money. If I want to buy something on-line I want it to be my choice of whether or not I will purchase more, not theirs. This sounds like a scam. The products may be good but it sure is a crappy way of doing business. Kind of like legalized extorsion. Who cares about you; we want our money.

truth teller

Mar 14

What make you an expert? Making a promise to order a certain amount each month keeps them from overproducing are under producing and the savings go to the customers. You have a monthly bill any its call shopping a Walmart except they don't give you a check every month. With Melaleuca you can suspend are even cancel at anytime, try doing that with you cellphone. Stop being such a sheepeople and ask is you job secure.

3 2 Reply
DJ

Mar 25 Long Beach, California

It is your choice to shop every month. You can easily cancel or suspend your membership with Melaleuca. I have been with Melaleuca for over 3 years now and I enjoy the benefits of being a loyal or what they call a Preferred Customer. You get 30-40% discount for choosing to be a loyal customer as one of your benefits. I just redirect my usual shopping and derive whole lot more advantages by doing so. I think you haven't really tried Melaleuca yet so you don't know what you are talking about, Anonymous.

Apr 30 Saint Louis, Missouri

It IS a wonderful way to do business, isn't it! Loyal, monthly shoppers get 30% to 40% discount as a 'thank you.' Other customers pay regular price.

Ricky13

Jun 18 Fair Oaks, California

If I was you I wouldn't join Melaeuca. Go spend your money at Walmart and get crappy products. Melaleuca is not for everybody, sounds like its not for you. You just don't get it.

0 1 Reply
Gma

Oct 25, 2013

You seem like an MLM'er pushing some magical 'natural' potion. Melaleuca enjoys about a 95% reorder every month, even though you can close your account in thirty seconds if you want to. People are there shopping because they love the products, and yes, the science is undeniable. I'm sorry you have NOT done your homework. World-class products at Melaleuca, at incredibly reasonable prices too.

anonymous

Jul 26

I am sorry so many of you are brainwashed.

0 1 Reply
greenmommy73

Oct 17, 2013 Vista, California

I wish everyone truly had an opportunity to try out Melaleuca products. Many sign up for the membership and then never take advantage of the great products and other member benefits. When you truly find out what Melaleuca is and the great products they have, you will become a customer for life like me.

karie32084

Oct 16, 2013 Saint Augustine, Florida

I am also sorry for any experiences with Melaleuca that were less than stellar. My family and I love each and every product (OK, I'm not a fan of the herbal deodorant). There is no scam, though. If you don't like something (or the membership), you simply follow the procedure and opt out / cancel. It's not for everyone, but it is a great company for those that need these products. :)

1-20 of 32 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Melaleuca.
Filing a new complaint about
×