Melaleuca - Evasive about animal testing

Issue not resolved
Nov 17, 2013
review #458275

I am a Melaleuca member and I am against companies that hire monsters to test their products on animals.I have asked Melaleuca customer service if they test on animals and they avoid the question.

If you have never seen what goes on at animal testing or research labs I urge you to do your own research. Its horrendous! Seems to me that a company that claims to be so-called natural would want to clear their name but they wont answer.

I have stopped buying their *** and I only buy from companies that dont test on animals.Dont waste your money!

c177049
Had an experience with Melaleuca?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
MelaMan

Oct 11

Here's The CEO of Melaleuca's latest response. Please read it in full, in context:
I am writing in response to your questions regarding Melaleuca's position on animal testing. Let me begin by telling you how much we appreciate having you as a Melaleuca customer and by reassuring you that Melaleuca has never tested its personal care or home care products on animals, nor will we ever do so!
Melaleuca is absolutely against cruelty to animals! We have never allowed nor will we ever tolerate the cruel treatment of any animal in the forwarding of our business. I grew up on a farm and throughout my childhood I had several animal friends whom I affection for and who I feel returned that loyalty and affection, including several dogs, cats, cows, a horse, and a baby pet hawk that I raised after it had fallen from its nest. I nurtured that hawk until it was old enough to turn loose. Animals have played an important role in my life, and today my wife and I (and our kids) own two dogs, a cat, and several cows and horses.
I have a confession to make: While I will usually carry a spider outside and turn it loose rather than smash it, as I write this letter, I am wearing a leather belt and leather shoes, and yesterday I had a hamburger for lunch and fish for dinner. I am not a vegetarian, nor do I put animals on the same plane as humans. If I had to make a choice between animals and people, in my book, people come first.
Our first run-in with PETA occurred in 1993. That year we
... Show more

0 0 Reply
farah321

Sep 27

They do test on animals.Which is why I canceled my membership. They tested of rats and dogs. The letter from their CEO on this regard is insulting. It calls people who don't use animal products, don't eat meat etc, extremists. extremists are people who , unnecessary make other beings suffer not those who want live a healthy and cruelty free lives. The fact that Melaluka call themselves cruelty free is deceptive. I had never joined them if I wasn't told they don't test on animals.which apratnely is not true. They have tested on rats and dogs.

2 0 Reply
farah321

Sep 27

1 0 Reply

Jun 18 Union, Kentucky

I asked the same question and they sent me a very detailed letter....signed by the CEO......explaining their stand on animal testing. They do NOT test on animals!

4 2 Reply
dee

Jun 11

This is why I'm turning to natural products. Vinegar is great for cleaning pretty much everything! Organic oils for my skin has given me a beautiful glow...I was thinking of signing up, but I rather not have a hard time in the future. Or regrets. Thanks everyone for your posts

4 2 Reply
kv

May 31

Pretty straight forward information.

0 0 Reply

May 12 Columbus, Ohio

Anyone that believes the political action group PETA that has been proven to lie consistently over a credible private manufacturing company held accountable by it's customers... well, enough said.
The TRUTH is Melaleuca does not test on animals, nor have they ever. The REAL reason PETA lists them is because Melaleuca doesn't consider an animal to be on the same place of importance as a human being. If you believe some squirrel is of the same value is yoru own kids, then you too should join and believe PETA... if not, Melaleuca may be a good fit for you as they don't test but do keep we humans in proper perspective.
The more you know...

3 6 Reply

May 04

If you bury your head and act like you don't see it does that mean it is not happening? Does he actually make unannounced visits to his labs to make sure? I doubt it.

4 0 Reply

May 22

Wow... do you even know the laws & regulations regarding the housing & care for animal testing victims?
There is no way for any company to hide that they test on animals from the company's owner.

2 7 Reply

May 26

Laws and regulations do not protect these animals. There are undercover videos of their treatment. Dogs being held in the air and beaten and choked because they are not cooperating with their torture. A dog was shown being shot in the head and thrown in a pile of other dead dogs because they were done with them. If you think our government protects these animals you are crazy! Do you know that our own government was doing experiments on animals in our military branches until PETA got involved and put a stop to it? Maybe you should do some research on the subject.

9 0 Reply
Lorraine

May 03 Eugene, Oregon

Frank Vandersloot, the president and CEO of Melaleuca states:" Melaleuca has never tested its hair care, skin care, cosmetic or home cleaning products on animals. To do so wold be unnecessary and senseless. We would never knowinly allow any animal to suffer. Melaleuca is definitely cruelty free."
This statement is signed by Mr. Vandersloot.

4 1 Reply
Axel4Life

Feb 11 Auckland, Auckland

I can understand that if you are very Staunch about testing animals that it would be pretty much near impossible to ever buy any product that's an any supermarket shelf. Why because most of today's products or product ingredients have most likely at some stage been tested on animals..and that can be way back before it became a BIG Issue.
Now I say that as a Member of the BUAV (British Union Against Vivisection)
Even we understand that... And are aware of that ..so many companies that say they are clean aren't really
Cheers,

1 4 Reply
Carol

Jan 07

Thank you for the info. I like most of their products but they actually didn't supply me with their form letter about animal testing until I cancelled my account even though I had requested it over the phone and through their customer service feature on their website. Too Late! Seems customer service needs some work to keep their members signed up. Also their monthy minimums are too high for the average person. I know a lot of people who have cancelled their memberships because $60-70 a month is kind of steep. You end up ordering stuff you don't need just to make their minimums and then you have a stockpile that takes months to use up.

3 2 Reply

Jan 07

Melaleuca Do Not test their products on animals :)

2 1 Reply

Nov 29, 2013 Miami, Florida

Evasive? I called and asked them about it and they sent me a letter signed by the CEO stating specifically that they are against animal testing.

4 5 Reply

Feb 06

They are on the PETA website as a company that DOES test on animals and it was just updated!!

3 0 Reply
chrisandter

May 14 Denver, Colorado

I believe that it's possible the customer service team may not have been purposefully evasive, but rather didn't know the answer to the question, themselves, without having time to properly research with their supervisors. I can see how this could have been mistaken for evasiveness. The two responses would seem very similar.
Since it would ruin the good name of the Melaleuca brand for the CEO to be found lying about something as serious as animal testing, I highly doubt he would risk being found as dishonest by making a very clear statement (in writing, no less) that they do not test their products on animals, if it were not undeniably true.

3 2 Reply
syringa37

May 14

I had received their letter stating they dont test on animals. Unfortunately after several requests for answers and getting none, you tend to assume. They didn't send the letter until I cancelled my account too. Why? Shouldn't the people you hire in customer service positions know your company values? They are losing customers because they don't answer these important questions. I am one of them. I have seen animal testing and it's horrible, I don't want to knowingly contribute to it so I am very choosy about who I spend money with. If you don't believe that animal testing is torture, look it up yourself. You have to be a pretty sick person to work at an animal testing facility.

6 0

1-20 of 25 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.