Melaleuca - Bad business tactics

34 of 277 Melaleuca Reviews
Jul 03, 2013
review #425654

I am a disabled person on a very tight budget.I joined melaleuca just a few weeks ago, was NOT told that i would be taken advantage of by having MY money stripped off my card for a nonexistant order,,also known as a"backup order",, WITHOUT my permission to do so!!

IF my money isnt replaced ASAP? I will go to the better business bureau, and then to RIPOFF REPORT!! Your products may be good? but NOT good enough for me to have you steal MY MONEY!!

Unless,, of course YOU are willing to pay my rent?Power bill and phone bill??

681d1ef
Had an experience with Melaleuca?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA

Jul 26

Report them. Companies like this are dishonest in the manner in which they set up the rules of their company. Those involved love those sort of rules so they can also screw over people. They are pigs at the trough. The branding of this company is very deceptive. It is owned by questionable Republicans, which should scare one away immediately. Not all Republicans are this way (I'm not), but this group is and they are great at pretending to care about you and your health while they pocket the cash. They are amazing actors pretending to be human, but they really only care about "their own" which is evident by their comments. The sooner we get rid of manipulative companies the better.

Beckster

Jul 21 Alhambra, California

Mystk1
it does sound like you may have misunderstood the backup order. Or it may be that the Marketing Exec may not have explained this fully. The best thing to do is simply submit your request to cancel your membership in writing to the company by FAX. Then call them to make sure they have received it. As added precaution, contact your credit card company and ask them to block the authorization for the charge. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with Melaleuca has been an unpleasant one. But the matter can be remedied with a little follow through.
For those of you who think the positive comments are made up, all that they say is real. People truly are happy with Melaleuca. I think you either love these products or you don't. You just really have to make sure you understand what you're agreeing to. And when you love these products, you'll order them on a regular basis and never get a back up order anyway.
And to my Malealuca friends, please be kind to those with legitimate complaints. While we truly love these products and derive great benefits from them, (and we want to just tell the whole world about them because they are helping us) there are some people who have other than "wonderful" experiences. It is the nature of any business. And with that said, it is important to note that Melaleuca has a current customer base of over 850,000 customers and growing, and only some 300 or so customers in a three year period or more have posted complaints to
... Show more

Melba

Mar 06

I called Melaleuca back five minutes after I decided to become a member and told them to cancel my distributorship and she said she would. Four days later, I check my account and Melaleuca charged my me $63.00 for some back-up order. I called them and she said it was too late to stop the back order and that I could return it but I'd have to pay for the shipping. I did not authorized them to do this. This is absolutely bogus. I am going dispute this charge and then I am going to file a complaint against them.

ali1721

Oct 13, 2013

People can absolutely put their membership on hold - maybe this person should have spent a little time emailing Melaleuca instead of posting this complaint. A back up order are items you selected to be sent to you in the event you didn't order for the month. Most people choose vitamins, as a majority of people take them on a monthly basis - maybe taking better care of yourself would help with your disability?

1 1 Reply
Tori the Terror

Jun 14

Ali1721......What a despicable thing to say to someone! And for the record I have read one bad review after the other where scammed members DID contact the company by email plus faxing in so called forms to cancel their memberships! I'm quite this company has many false positives like yours....My 85 y.o mother in law signed up for this scam and before I even looked at the reviews I told her it was a scam/pyramid but she would not listen to me. I know without a doubt that in 2 months or less after they start stealing money from her credit card that I will be hearing from her asking me to help her put a stop to it, I just wish I could have been there to strangle the woman who brainwashed her into believing she would be rich if she joined! I am beyond pissed!

Sep 08, 2013 Madison, Wisconsin

Why should people agree to a backup order in the first place? Why can't they have the RIGHT to say NO for a month or longer? WHY?

N in Arizona

Sep 03, 2013 Chandler, Arizona

Is your diaability a mental problem? You were told about your back up order when you signed up. You signed up on your form what you wanted for your back up order in the event you didn't make your monthly order like you were told. You signed your name to that form. Don't sign anything unless you know what you are signing, didn't you already know this? So who can you blame but yourself. Now fill out the form to cancel your membership. NO harm no fowl.

Conserned

Sep 15, 2013 Talbott, Tennessee

Also you will get a full refund of any products you send back and your membership fees within a 120 day period. These products have helped a lot of people including me. Please make sure from now on to listen carefully when you are signing up for ANY thing and to read what you are signing. There are NO hidden scams to Melaleuka!!!

Pat

Aug 23, 2013 Dublin, Dublin

what a big load of bull this comment is are people ***

YOU ARE TOLD ABOUT YOUR BACK UP ORDER WHEN YOU SIGN UP

so you joined few weeks then say you were not told my god what age are you

people need to grow up, if you joined to do the business and didnt succeed after say 2 years in the business yes complain but you didnt even start

???????? :(

summer.drey

Aug 08, 2013 Missoula, Montana

EVERYONE who thinks this is a scam CLEARLY doesn't or didn't listen to the presentation fully. The Back up Order is VERY clear and you can avoid that by letting the company know you are not going to order so you don't get charged. It's not a trick...people are just conformists, ignorant and well..shifters...always shifting the blame to someone else so THEY don't look dumb because they weren't paying attention. I LOVE the store, the products and their ethics. They have been AWARDED the BBB which by the way is BASED ON ETHICS!...when only 53 companies ever have been awarded this! Agg...the ignorance.

Notforme

Apr 03 Spokane, Washington

Looks like melaleuca people dissing on people here. I am NOT going to join because I am not comfortable with any company that makes you buy when you forget or can't afford it. I feel sad for the poor people that will say and do anything to SCAM someone else

Aug 06, 2013

I'm very sorry you THINK you have been ripped off, but I have seen a presentation and they CLEARLY explain the back up order, and also when you enroll as a preferred customer, there is also a box that you check regarding the back up order.

If you did what they call a phone enrollment, then the rep on the phone ASKS you to explain your understanding regarding the back up order.

So I'm sorry, but you have not been ripped off, you just obviously do not read what you are signing and do not pay attention to something that you are watching. So really, your own fault! :)

jds2864

Jul 25, 2013 Walterboro, South Carolina

I just signed up last night and one of the questions they asked me was, "What is your understanding of the back up order." After the presentation and talk with my representative, I had a clear understanding of what the back up order was. My reply, "Should I forget to order by the last day of each month, I will automatically receive a back up shipment which I will be charged for. This shipment can be sent with vitamins or without vitamins by my choosing(I chose without), and I understand that I can choose my own products to put on a back up order."
Sorry sir/ma'am, you were not taken advantage of but you did fail to pay attention to what you were agreeing to. Never sign a contract without knowing all of the details. Especially when you can't afford the extra expense.

Jazzika

Jul 24, 2013 Beaverton, Oregon

I find it very funny that people who are responding obviously have an investment in this company and cannot believe that some of their reps might be misleading to make sales, or not completely informing clients. Is that difficult to believe that when a company allows anyone on earth to work for them that their are dishonest sales people?! Mystyk1 I hope that they refunded your money.
I know reps for this company, and I understand that they profit off of not informing people. What possible excuse could they have for automatically charging people for cosmetics and cleaners!? This is the lowest of the shady and is bottom line how they make a profit.

Jul 26, 2013 Los Angeles, California

There's no misleading; it is very clear in the presentation especially when you get to the Preferred Customer Membership Benefits slide of the presentation. It is carefully reviewed what you need to do to open your online shopping account and what it means to be a preferred customer. The back up order is reviewed by the person giving the presentation but when you enroll as a customer with Melaleuca you are asked if you understand what the back up order is and how it works. Plus, you have to initial in the box on the paperwork that you understand. Bottom line: don't sign any contract you don't understand. Melaleuca Marketing Executives are trained very well. Jazzika, I don't know the reps you know that "profit off of not informing people." They should be reported if that's what they're doing, and trust me, Melaleuca will deal with them.

kelly

Jul 26

I am an educator and nothing is ever completely clear to everyone, if it was the world would look a lot different. I see a lot of company bullies beating up on people who have do not care for the products or the company's methods. A lot of salespeople are SMARMY, which is a REALITY. They are in it for a buck.

Jul 26, 2013

There are melaleuca reps all over the country/world. I'm sorry if some of them are using poor/misleading sales tactics, but not how all reps get their income.

globug

Jul 31, 2013

I have no investment in the company. This is a reputable company and like any company you need to read the contract and if you don't understand ask. The products are earth friendly, and as reputable as the top name brands. It's sad that people don't do their homework before agreeing to something they are unsure of.

Xenia

Jul 26

How do you not have an investment if the only way to get the products is by being a member? I don't pretend to know the ins/outs, but from what I have read one has to have an investment to purchase.

N in Arizona

Sep 03, 2013 Chandler, Arizona

No, you are way off base here with your uninformed statements, you know nothing of what you speak. This company has high integretity. There have been people who have joined this company that tried to do some shady things and they were kicked out. As soon as the company is aware of any wrong unethical practices, that person is out of this company and I can say that because I have seen it happen. You will not find a better company than Melaleuca in this aspect.

Showing 1-20 of 24 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Melaleuca.
Filing a new complaint about
×